1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Steve, just a question about gear

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Veldar, Mar 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Hello Steve or whoever else reads this,

I have to write a paper on a bassist who uses digital technology to create unique pieces music live. To try to sum it all up what do you use the laptop for when playing live, as well as the kaoss pads.

I'm assuming the laptop is just for beat making but it could also be doing the looping.

Cheers, Sam.

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    hey! So so sorry I didn't see this when you posted it - I'm not around here as often as before, but if an answer a year late is interesting (though clearly not helpful for your paper! sorry about that!) I use the laptop for three things - it records everything I do multitracked, it's the sound source for the drum/keys parts that I play on the Quneo, and it hosts the software for my soundcard/mixer, so I can route things to whichever outputs I need (so, for example, if I'm playing with someone else, I might use MOTU's Cuemix software to route them into the Looperlative so I can loop them as well as me :) )

I also use the laptop for editing sounds in my MOD Duo processor, but that's very rarely connected on a gig - only when I'm programming the sounds in the first place...

...I then use my other laptop (a Macbook Pro) to mix/master the recordings for release - they're copied across via dropbox.

hope that's helpful :)

3. Hahaha the assignment was due a year ago, I did get a HD for it and it's the example used at my university for the correct way to do the assignment.

Thanks for the info though ❤