Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Steve Kimock Band's bassist???

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Da_Niet, Apr 24, 2003.

1. Da_Niet

Da_Niet

Jan 23, 2003
    California
    First of all, I should state this: After seeing these guys headline with Soulive at the Filmore in Frisco, I was converted. I had never even heard of the SKB until I found out that they were playing along-side Soulive, one of my fave groups right now. I don't hate to say this, but the SKB gave my boys a run for their money. Both are outstanding groups with very talented musicians, but Soulive(as much as I love their sound) is pretty much one dimensional compared with SKB. Soulive is more into that mid-to-late 60's funky groove trio bag(guit./organ/drums), and that's where they excel at. However, SKB is much more worldly(or Otherworldly) in their sound and approach. They have one of the best drummers around, and their bass player is sadly underrated.

I would like to know if anyone else in this forum has checked them out, know about SKB, and more importantly, does anyone know anything about their bass player?

If anyone does get the chance to see them in your area, DEFINITELY check out The Steve Kimock Band. You will be pleasantly surprised(and impressed).

2. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    I'm not 100% sure about this because I haven't seen SKB on the latest tour but his long time bassist has been Alphonso Johnson.

If you've got a broadband connection check out this website for a napster like program for jam bands. All the downloads are legal. You can find a lot of Kimock.

http://www.furthurnet.com

3. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    I think it still is Alphonso Johnson... Bobby Vega was in before that. I have mixed feelings about SKB. I"ve seen some shows that I've absolutely loved and some that have fallen flat for me. There's no doubt, though, that Kimock rips on guitar when he wants to.

4. Da_Niet

Da_Niet

Jan 23, 2003
    California
    ....actually, it wasn't Alphonso Johnson. It was a white dude, with blond close-cropped/shaved hair. Boy, he could play.

5. Could somebody explain to me the appeal of the Steve Kimock Band? I went to see them last summer in Philly 'cause Alphonso Johnson was playing with them and you just can't pass up a chance to see Alphonso in a small club. I was bored to tears after 10 minutes. The drummer was definitely the highlight of the night. I don't know his name, but he played the best, most interesting stuff all night. It really felt like Alphonso was being held back 'cause he played such simple, repetitive stuff. He never stepped out. He didn't get a solo. He hardly even played any fills. I got the sense that Steve didn't want anybody upstaging him. I was really disappointed in the whole deal and left halfway through the show. Maybe it changed int he second half, but I doubt it. Steve could play guitar, but he wasn't any better than a hundred other guys I've heard. I just didn't get it.

6. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    As far as I know, the new bassist with Kimock is Arne Livingston from Seattle. He's played with The Living Daylights for years and he's one badass player. I'm not really a fan of Kimock but I've seen Arne with the Daylights ~15 times and I've always been impressed. He has great command of the instrument and a very musical approach to tapping and looping. He usually plays either a Ken Smith 4 or a tenor-strung ash P-bass. Sound like the guy?

7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Boy!....I haven't thought of the Living Daylights in awhile.......your right! Arne is a badass:bassist:
    I've seen Kimock with Bobby Vega..Bobby was great.......Kimock looked like he was a grouch, and not having a good time:confused:

8. Da_Niet

Da_Niet

Jan 23, 2003
    California
    As far as I know, the new bassist with Kimock is Arne Livingston from Seattle. He's played with The Living Daylights for years and he's one badass player. I'm not really a fan of Kimock but I've seen Arne with the Daylights ~15 times and I've always been impressed. He has great command of the instrument and a very musical approach to tapping and looping. He usually plays either a Ken Smith 4 or a tenor-strung ash P-bass. Sound like the guy?

Mmmm. Maybe. The guy I saw is a very understated player---keeps a rather low profile, but you know he's right there with his approach. He only did one solo, and it was at the end when everyone REALLY got a chance to stretch. At first, he played simply, then his solo got really hot with the right balance of slapping(don't remember too much tapping, though), and fingerstyle. Which is good because I get fed up with too much slapping and popping strings--it can get down-right obnoxious at times. Anyways, I will check out this Arne Livingston, for the helluvit! Thanks.

9. TNJ

TNJ

Mar 5, 2003
    FWIW,
    I think Steve is a great player, and his touch/tone/phrasing have always been right there whenever I've heard him. Alphonso, of course, is not be missed no matter who he's playing with. I'm going to have to check out the new guy as well.
    S.

10. wushuguy

wushuguy

Jan 9, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I have a VCD of Arne Livingston playing in The Santa Cruz Hemp Allstars (The Disco Biscuits' Aron Magner's side project). I really love his playing. He plays some very tasteful lines. He's playing the Smith 4 in it. Great tone, and a great player.

11. wushuguy

wushuguy

Jan 9, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
  12. Da_Niet

Da_Niet

Jan 23, 2003
    California
    Wushuguy, what style of wushu martial arts do you know, or practice? Man, I used to take a chinese martial arts class, and the instructors were wushu cats. We used to do all kinds of crazy moves and exercises. I need to get back into some of that, actually. That's too cool, and you play bass, too.:bassist: Keep it up!

13. wushuguy

wushuguy

Jan 9, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    My foundation is in Kajukenbo. It's a mix of karate, judo-jiu jitsu, kenpo, and kung fu "chinese boxing" (ka-ju-ken-bo). It is pretty much just a down right dirty streetfighting art. Right now I'm mainly focusing on contemporary and traditional wushu. I've been getting pretty deep into tai chi also.

Kung fu and music - the loves of my life. :D