Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Steve Kimock & Friends article

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Muzique Fann, Apr 8, 2005.

1. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Steve's nice guy. Sorta on the quiet side...only met him once. Did a benefit show with him in Bethlehem PA. Great player.

2. Quiet doesn't quite say it fully. Comatose, persistent vegitative state, or heroin-addled might be more accurate. Used to be a hell of a guitar player and creative talent. This article makes it sound like he might finally be enjoying himself again though, which is great news for everyone. I went to see the SKB a few months ago, and he did not have an expression on his face at any point during the show. If you were to force a description of some human emotion on how he seemed, the words would be withdrawn, depressed, insecure. But it was still a fairly cool show if you just managed to not look at him, and were willing to focus on the portion of the evening spent playing music instead of all the time spent in neutral waiting for something to get started.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i CANT STAND jam bands, and the like.

but love guys like Kimock. his tunes are a little "stoney" and sleepy, but the dood pwns tone with his custom Two Rock amps.

4. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    His writing is very different from the norm - sometimes his songs don't "make sense" or resolve the way you think they should, but you cannot argue about his tone. Who cares what he looks like on stage or how his facial expressions are. His sense of harmony and dynamics are something else. It's no wonder he was Jerry Garcia's favorite "unknown" guitarist.

5. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I saw Steve and Friends here in Dallas a couple of weeks ago. This is deffinantly a must see show. Reed Mathis on bass was awesome, and Rodney Holmes, good lord I was embarrased for not having heard of him before he was so good.

6. Rodney Holmes is definately awesome. Kimock is too. He has a very unique tone. I saw SKB in Athens, GA when Alphonso Johnson was playing bass for them and they blew me away. I've been a fan ever since.

7. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Actually, a friend of mine has a DVD of one of those shows with Alphonso, great stuff :)

8. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    For real, backstage, he seemed friendly enough...not withdrawn or depressed or anything. He even got a kick out of my Talkbass baseball cap and made some funny comment.

Maybe he's just zoning while playing. Just a very nice guy with a beat up BMW.