Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Steve Lawson gig and online shop news! :)

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Steve Lawson, Sep 24, 2005.

1. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi all,

quick news update -

firstly an upcoming gig that I'm particularly excited about. As part of the 'John Peel Day' celebrations, I've put together a three-act-bill for a gig in London featuring me solo, Rise Kagona from the Bhundu Boys and scottish low-fi singer/songwriter Calamateur. Here's the press stuff about that (page down for news about Michael Manring CD availability and t-shirts!)

[​IMG]

Date - 13th October 2005
    Time - doors 7.30pm first band on 8pm
    tickets - £8.50 / concs £6.50 available from my online store

An eclectic triple bill as part of the 'John Peel Day' celebrations - The day will be a celebration of John's life and massive contribution to music and broadcasting with as many venues as possible staging gigs across the UK under the banner of Peel Day.

Featuring Bhundu Boys founder and guitarist Rise Kagona, the UK's leading solo bassist Steve Lawson and critically acclaimed scottish lofi singer/songwriter Calamateur, this promises to be one of the highlights of John Peel Day.

BIOS -

• Rise Kagona was the guitarist with and founder of The Bhundu Boys, arguable Africa's most infuential musical export. In the mid to late 80s, they toured extensively across the UK and Europe, opening for Madonna for three nights at Wembley Arena, played with Mark Knopfler and Eric Clapton while Joe Strummer counted himself a fan.

"I first heard them when they put out an EP in the autumn of 1985," Andy Kershaw recalls. "Peel and I were in the office at Radio 1. We sat staring at each other, thinking this recording was absolutely wonderful. It was the dazzling quality of the music, the harmonies, the sparkling guitar playing. The Bhundu Boys were simply one of the greatest pop groups I have ever heard."

For this gig, Rise will be joined by long-time collaborator 'Champion' Doug Veitch on guitar, Steve Lawson on bass, who Rise met recently while they were both playing for Botswanan singer/songwriter Duncan Senyatso, Jez Carr on keyboards and percussionist extraordinaire, Orphy Robinson.

• Steve Lawson has spent the last five years building a reputation as the UK's leading solo bass guitarist. Avoiding the many pitfalls that so often trap anyone taking the bass out of its natural band habitat, he uses real-time looping to build soundscapes that combine gorgeous melodies with haunting backdrops, blending ambient, jazz and electronica into a beguiling soundtrack to a fanatstic chilled night out.

Though never played on John Peel's show, Steve's teenage years, spent in Berwick On Tweed, were spent listening to Peel's late night radio 1 show religiously, taping all manner of weird and wonderful music from the show to listen back to later, and discovering so many new acts that otherwise would never have reached North Northumberland. That exposure to 'boundary-less music' set the scene for Steve's musical career, and played a huge part in him becoming a solo bassist in the first place.

"...one of the most influential bass guitarists in the world" - Bass Guitar Magazine.

• Calamateur , AKA Andrew Howie, was another act that Peel gave a leg up to by playing him on his Radio 1 show. Andrew has the knack of building songs from apparently disparate parts; delicately picked acoustic, soft harmonies, feedback, distortion, electronics, montages of samples, thunderous bass, rock guitar, and found sound; which make sense as satisfying, haunting wholes. His album, 'The Old Fox Of '45' was recently voted one of the top 15 Scottish albums of all time in a poll by 'Is This Music?' magazine. He's been played extensively on Radio 3's Late Junction and is hailed in his homeland of Scotland as something of a lofi singin' songwritin' genius. This will be his first London show.

"...stunning...a work of beauty...what took Snow Patrol's 3 albums and 4 people to accomplish, Calamateur's Andrew Howie manages straight off with songs of desolate beauty underpinned with a savage hope. Buy it. 8/10" - Planet Sound

How great does that sound?? I'm so looking forward to it!

In other shop news, Michael Manring's album, Soliloquy, is back in stock

and I also now have 'Bass The Final Frontier' t-shirts available, that look like this -

[​IMG]

That's all for now!

cheers

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    link to press release for gig in PDF form

Been learning the songs for this gig - if any of you feel like you're getting bored playing pop/rock/country/soul/funk, go pick up the first two Bhundu Boys albums - or any of their albums for that matter - and have a go at learning some of the tunes. There are some crazy rhythmic things going on here. This is the most fun I've had learning a set for a gig in years. :)

steve
    www.stevelawson.net