Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Steve Lawson interview at www.bassically.net

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Steve Lawson, Mar 10, 2002.

1. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
  2. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Hey Steve,

Great interview! I really enjoyed it. You always have such great advice to give. :)

As for the audio clips, unfortunately my system (blech! WebTV!) doesn't support Real Audio so I couldn't hear 'em. Boooo :( I'm sure they're great, tho!

Be well,
    Stephanie

3. just one thing in the interview;

"people like Simon Gallup from the Cure (though I think Robert Smith played on a lot of the recordings),"

which stuff was that? as far as I knew Robert Smith only played actual basslines on the Japanese Whispers and The Top albums, otherwise playing the guitar-like parts on Fender bass VI.

4. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Scurrilous rumours perhaps, but I have it on fairly good authority that Robert played a heck of a lot more bass than he was given credit for early on... :oops:)

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

5. hmm, interesting....

odd though, as I heard an mp3 of a song "lifeblood" by Simon Gallup's band before he joined The Cure, The Magspies, and the bassline on it was more complicated and technically demanding than any of the early Cure stuff, so I wonder why Smith would have played instead.

to me Robert Smith's bass playing on The Top album and a couple of tracks on Japanese Whispers sounds looser in the tone and note phrasing than Cure stuff with Gallup credited - but Gallup's bass playing with Fools Dance when he left The Cure for 2 years is similar to his Cure basslines- eg, open string drone chordal stuff, staccato phrasing.