Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Steve Lawson recording in Total Guitar Magazine

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Steve Lawson, Nov 6, 2003.

1. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    just to let you know that Total Guitar have got a Bass Special edition out at the moment - Flea's on the cover, interviews with Macca, Flea, Mani, Lemmy, Rancid etc. etc.

Anyway, the interesting bit is that my recording of 'Portrait Of Tracey' is on the CD, and my transcription is inside. It's pretty hard to find (I got my copy today in Tower Records in Picadilly, as the mag haven't sent me one yet!)

Oh, and there's a new previously unreleased Jaco interview in there, which is short but interesting.

It's worth picking up...

cheers

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

2. Not a *bad* special by any means, but they certainly seem to be catering to one particular kind of audience. It's a wonder that anything about Jaco made it in there at all (in my view). ;)

3. Aside from the great fact that Steve's song is on the Mag Cd, I have to admit that 'Total Guitar' is possibly the worst guitar mag out there. But I'll buy it just to hear Steve.

4. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    The TG bass special is right slap bang in the middle of TG's target audience, and inasmuch is pretty good - lots of classic bedroom heros, with the token solo track from Jaco for good measure. I think it's a pretty good start, and seems to have sold really well... :)

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

5. I guess I'm saying that I'm probably not their target demographic ;)

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Nor me!! :D

7. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    What months issue is this. I can't seem to find it.

8. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Steve,

it's probably sold out now - it was out in November, but seems to have sold out in most shops almost immediately...

'tother Steve

9. When I read through it I thought that it might be the kind of thing I could pass on to the local young bass playing contingent for them to have a look at. I think there are some things in there that they would like... :D To be honest I bought it because I wanted to see what Steve's transcription of Portrait of Tracy looked like, and how it compared with Lucas Pickford's: http://www.lucaspickford.com/transtracy.htm

Haven't had a chance to examine any differences in great detail yet.

10. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    dunno how much Lucas' transcription varies from mine - I used a few different source transcriptions, none of which had it quite how I wanted it, so I mushed them together with my own hearing of what Jaco was thinking as much as what he was playing (ie trying to notate a rit as a rit not as a switch from straight to dotted to tied triplets etc...)

I think I got pretty close... :D

Now, if only I could muster up the energy to transcribe some of my own stuff!

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

11. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I looked at the November issue and it had the guitarist from blink on in and now decmebers issue is about muse. Must be octobers issue. Damn cos I want to learn portrait of tracy.

12. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    STeve, it was a 'bass special' - completely separate issue. Not a bass focussed issue of TG, but a one off bass mag from TG...

steve

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

If you can't find a copy, you could always go to www.lucaspickford.com or buy the book "A Portrait of Jaco - the solos collection" ! :)

14. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    It's also in Sher's New Real Book. There's even some tab floating round somewhere on the internet...

Wulf

15. The tab of 'Tracy' on the net is not bad for a start, though there are some mistakes in it. But I guess just as long as you have the recording, you can spot out the mistakes. I think Talkbass has a copy of the tab that I'm talking about in its tab archive.