Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Steve Lawson to open for Level 42 on UK tour!!!!!

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Steve Lawson, Oct 3, 2002.

1. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Boy, it's a bumper news day for me - first the new album, now I can announce that I'll be the opening act for the Level 42 Greatest hits UK tour!!

Mark King heard my CD via the recommendation of the soundman on the Schizoid tour, and Mark got the promoter to book me as the opening act. I'll be doing 22 or the 25 dates, including the Royal Albert Hall in London!!!!

All the dates that I'm doing are on my website - please come along and say hi.

Mark King is one of the reasons why I'm playing bass at all (I saw him playing on a saturday morning kids programme on TV in 1985 and it blew my mind...) so I'm really looking forward to this!

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Let me be the first to say, "Congratulations!"

I won't even give you any lip about referring to yourself in the third person in your title. :p ;) :D

That has to be a nice feeling to have one of your idols want you as an opening act. You're definitely up to the challenge.

Good luck! (not that you need it)

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Cool. Time to reach for the brass ring.

4. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Congratulations! Break a leg:)

5. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
  6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    the big prize

congrats:cool:

7. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Wow! That's awesome, Steve! Good luck with that and have fun! :)

8. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Just thought I'd add my congratulations -- this is a great day for solo bass!

9. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    ...don't speak to soon, the audience might all think I'm crap... :D

Thanks a lot Michael - I'm really looking forward to it. It does seem like more and more doors are opening for solo bassists. Hopefully if this goes well it'll create a few more...

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

10. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Congrats! I even saw your name mentioned on Ashdown websites because of this, perhaps now would be a good time to talk about endorsement ;)

Break a leg!

11. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Let's see, I've done clinics for Ashdown, am featured on their website, and currently have a rig on loan for a tour - what more does one have to do to constitute being endorsed????? ROTFL :D

I'm never going to enter into a contractual obligation with a company that was exclusive, mainly because as a pro, I've got to use whatever is needed for the gig, so can't be tied to a particular piece of gear if that's going to ruin the music.

Having said that, I've used nothing but Ashdown for YEARS - even had them lend me a rig for my US dates - and really wouldn't want to play through anything else right now...

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

12. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    PS - I've heard that a LOT of the dates are selling out/have sold out, so if you're wanting to come to any of the shows, best get the tickets now...

...same goes for the Manring/Friesen/Lawson stuff in Hackney/Wapping/Reading - I've no idea how well they are selling, but get them now just in case... :D The gig at Ocean was listed in their ad in Time out, and is featured in their current mail out...

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

13. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    Great! Congrats! I'm 100% sure you'll rock even more than Mr King! :)
    Good luck!!

14. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Thanks Dreadhead, though I'm not sure 'rocking' will take place all that much in either set. He'll certainly funk more than me, but I'll out-mellow him, no doubt... ;)

...tour starts Friday - wish me luck! :)

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

15. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    I don't think you need any luck... if Mark King did choose you, there are good reason, it's definitely NOT a matter of luck. Yes, it's a lucky thing that he did listen to your work, but if you didn't good enough you wouldn't be there! :D

16. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    HANG ON! This conversation is all the wrong way round - you're meant to tell me I'm lucky, then I say 'yeah, the harder I work the luckier I get', and you then concede that maybe there was a little more than luck involved...

so what happened here? I accuse myself of needing luck, and you tell me I don't??? It's all gone horribly wrong... :D ROTFL

thanks for that - the luck was more for gear not breaking down than actually being any good at what I do... :D

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk (gigs and brand new CD details here)

17. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    Don't be afraid, I'm sure your gear will work fine... and remember that you have a sturdy necked bass! :p