Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Steve Lawson's improv video on his website

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by superbassman2000, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Hi Mr. Lawson,
    i was watching your improv video, and i am 2 minutes into it, and you are making some erally cool sounds! is that just using your ebow, or do you have other effects running as well? it sounds so good, it sounds like you have a midi system running, but i don't remember hearing anything about a midi system in your rig!
    how do you do that!!!!

Charlie

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi, really glad you're digging the video!

I am using the Ebow a lot, but there's a fair amount of processing going on too - mainly reverb, delay, pitch shift and chorus, along with some filtering. There's no midi or triggering going on at all - it's all real bass processed in real time :)

steve
    www.stevelawson.net

3. yeah, that sound really impressed me!

i really like that video...are you ever going to come out with a concert DVD?

also, you don't happen to remember approximately what kinds of effects you were going with in that intro do you? ;)

4. one more question, now that you've got me wanting an ebow really bad, do you just have the stock ebow, or do you have anything different?

5. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    The effects at the beginning are just delay and reverb. The hi sounds just come from the Ebow being switched to the harmonic setting. I use a regular Ebow Plus - which is the only one I think you can get now.

I was speaking to Greg Heet who makes the Ebow at NAMM about further modifications, and he has a few amazing ideas up his sleeve, if he gets round to making them... The possibilities are huge...

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

6. cool!
    i went to my local guitar store today and he had actually just gotten in an ebow+ and i tried it. now do you actually have to have the thing just about touch the strings for it to work? or was it just low on batteries maybe?

7. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Whats the pitch shift doing? Changing the key of your loops?

I mean, I'm no looper so I don't really know the tricks. This is just a guess.

8. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    The Ebow isn't a device that you will immediately get great results from - like any technique, it's gonna take you a while to get to grips with it and learn how it works. If you bought a video on how to slap, you'd expect it to take you quite a few weeks to really get the hang of it. Same for Ebow.

What it requires is a lot of experimentation to find where and how it works best on your bass. It's pretty tricky to explain.

just play around with it, and see what happens! :)

Pitch-shift - the pitch shift on that track is just on the regenerating delay that comes in as the second layer on the initial loop - you'll hear what sounds like a synth string pad - that's me playing notes on the ebow, where each repeat on the delay comes back an octave higher.

cheers

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

9. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Amazing.