Steve Lawson's new CD reviwed in BP

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by maxvalentino, May 18, 2002.

1. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

Just got the latest issue of Bass Player Magazine, and lo and behold if there is not a review of TB's very own Steve Lawson and Jez Carr's "Conversations"
    “Lawson’s second release, a totally improvised collection, features pianist Jez Carr. Lawson’s penchant for capturing the moment always leaves room for fun surprises……conjures a massive range of tender, brutal, and sometimes hilarious emotions.”

If you have not already heard it...or better yet, bought it, check into Steve's website, and his forum here at TB. It is a brilliant work. They have, with much eloquence, manged to captured the pure spirit and beauty of music.

2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I really like Steve's C.D.'s! His use of space in his music is very refreshing to me! They might take a few listens to unvail themselves......but once they do, they don't let go! Great work Steve!!!
  3. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Hi Jerry. I recently started a thread down in Steve's forum about space. I was just wondering, in regards to Steve's music, what you mean when you commented on his use of space? Like, I was thinking at first in a piece I was writing that there was too much space, but Steve made it clear that usually, in music, there isn't enough of it. What was it in his music/use of space that you found refreshing? I unfortunately don't have either of his albums and have only listened to a couple tunes on his website ("Drifting" and "Over the Rainbow") so I'm interested in descriptions of his music.

4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii me space is where the music breathes....there is not a rush to the next note.
    It could be used in different contex too... like funk playing is the space between the notes that builds the groove....again to me anyway:D
    I love composers Mark Isham & Brian Eno! Steve's music reminds me of their use of space
  5. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Understood. :) Thanks Jerry...Oh, and I like Brian Eno too. :)
  6. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Thanks for that, guys - Jerry, I'm really really glad you like the CDs - I'm a big fan of Isham and Eno as well! :oops:)

The space thing is really interesting - I'm pushing it further in each direction on my upcoming next completely solo album - some of it seems to have loads of space, and some of it is much more dense (I was reading an interview with Pat Metheny where he was talking about filling space as opposed to leaving it, but doing it intentionally...)

Ed's review seems to hit the nail on the head... :oops:)