1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Steve Lukather: The Biggest Lie in Music

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Nov 30, 2020.

1. I sort of agree. I think another big lie in music is that ear training and/or ear ability is not valuable. The truth probably lies somewhere in the middle.

2. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    MAXSPINRUN and jamro217 like this.
  3. redstrand

redstrand Supporting Member

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    100% spot on. Knowledge is power, I write music now that I never dreamed of and it’s because I took lessons and learned theory. It open a huge door in my mind and allows me to be creative on levels I’d never thought of even ten years ago. Like anything put in the time and you’ll be rewarded

MrLenny1, Huw Phillips, Mili and 8 others like this.
  4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    My only regret is that I did not seriously study forty years earlier.

5. redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    My regret is I didn't play when I was younger, I didn't start until 12 years ago

Bruno1950, timmo97, OogieWaWa and 5 others like this.
  6. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    There is no reason a person cannot apply theory to ear ability. Musicians do it all of the time.

7. redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    I wish I had decent ear ability, It's something I'm working on right now

8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    luke.jpg
    Steve trying to pass that off as his own hair is the biggest lie in music. My grandma had that same wig. Cost her about forty bucks.

9. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    THAT'S the biggest lie in music?

Hardly.

10. "You should record that!"

11. Bajo Clarkko

Bajo Clarkko

Aug 9, 2015
    It seems to me, that if he PAID for that wig, it IS his own hair. :thumbsup:

12. Sean150

Sean150

Jul 18, 2018
    When I read the introduction to the article I was already preparing an argument against it but; after reading it and giving it some thought, even being “self-taught” I have extensively used lessons, whether it be Ed Friedland’s bass method books, SBL or random information from here, to great effect. They may not be traditional teaching methods but they have helped me get a lot further than I could get alone and theory is language that makes the concepts understandable.

I won’t agree with him on Tablature though. I can read music but Tab gets me going quicker and allows me more time to learn the important stuff; like why those specific notes work together.

13. No, there's absolutely not. But neither is the end all or the be all. You can know a lot of theory but be lost in an improvisational situation if there's a key change and you don't have the ear to hear where others are going.

This is starting to be a pet peeve of mine here. If I were still into starting threads around here (I'm not) I'd start one about this. Why don't we value ear development?

14. Ear training is of no value to those looking to package and sell "theory."

15. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I value my ear greatly. Just Sunday, I realized a new song was based on II V I changes. I would not have recognized that without study.

16. Sounds like you've been studying the right things :)

We have another thread here somewhere about a member playing a sub show where he didn't know two songs. I think that ear training would have probably given that guy an edge that a lot of other people might not have had. Knowing by ear where to go when the unexpected happens is what makes some subs worth what they demand.

Huw Phillips, DJ Bebop, Ronzo and 9 others like this.
  17. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, aelurophile Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    Seems like an attitude exclusive to rock and roll. I mean most (all?) of my jazz heros had at least some formal training. Certainly all my classical heros. I never played in a latin group where the leader didn't have a solid working knowledge. The notes on the page are lingua franca in bands where half the guys don't speak English and the other half don't speak Spanish.

18. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Dissin' the study of music theory is just another manifestation of envy/intellectual laziness.........akin to the current day predilection to trash expertise/ intellectual pursuit in general. What is often said of science can also be said of music theory....it "works" whether one understands/ believes in it or not.

19. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, aelurophile Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    Ear training was a big part of my formal training. Particularly in Europe they teach a lot of sol-feg sight singing. String players, vocalists, wind players... How do you think they play in tune with 60 other people?

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 25, 2021