Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Steve Martin plays Spector!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Blackbird, Jun 24, 2003.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Just not a bass...

[​IMG]

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I hear he's quite the banjo player, though I've never seen him in a musical environment...just using it for skits or in a couple of cases, playing for about 10 secons on the odd documnetry/biography show.

3. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    wow, cool i had no idea he was musical, musical actors should start a band.
    who would be in it?

4. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    I've heard Steve stretch on the banjo (I can't remember where) but he was playing his ass off. So yea. He can play.

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    king tut rules. i remember when that first came out. :D

6. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    Erm... Spinäl Täp? Those guys can play. Harry Shearer is also quite an upright player, as evidenced by A Mighty Wind (didn't see the movie, but I saw them on Letterman).

Sort of off topic, but, hey: Steven King, Dave Barry, and Gary Larson supposedly have a band together. :eek:

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Steve was the first stand up comedian that I ever got into, back in the mid 70's. Very funny guy. And yes, a good banjo player as well.

8. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    He is... He was on Earl Scruggs' (creator of the three finger playing style) last CD...

9. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    There's a video that pops up on the Country Music video channels of Earl Scruggs and Friends playing Foggy Mountain Breakdown, and Steve is shown taking a banjo lead-break in the video.

10. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    I think Steve has won a musical award for his pickin' and grinnin'. I'm not positive on the award, but I think it was a Grammy for an album he played on. Something like that, I'm sure someone else may know more about this than I do.

11. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    The Rock Bottom Remainders is the band with Steven King and Dave Berry. I didn't know about Gary Larson. Who plays bass?

12. I saw Steve Martin in 1974 before he made it big. He walked out with his banjo and told jokes for about 20 minutes, then broke into Foggy Mountain Breakdown - he is an EXCELLENT banjo player and well respected in the bluegrass field.

He album, "The Other Side of Steve Martin" is half his standup routine and the other side is all bluegrass music.

BTW, I laughed so hard that night that I pulled muscles in my ribs and was sore for a week - true story.

13. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    With what some might call too much time on my hands, I decided to find out.

The band is made up of a bunch of writers, most notably (to me) King, Barry, Amy Tan (!), and Matt Groening. There isn't mention of Gary Larson on the website (so maybe I made that up), but they say they often play with "special guests" (so maybe i didn't). The bass player is Ridley Pearson. I have no idea who that is, but some of you might.

Okay, at this point Ill say that I've replied with all this three times since last night, and for some reason, every time, it's made my computer go wacky. right now, the text field I'm typing in is completely black (sorry if I'm misspelling anything. go to rockbottomremainders.com. There are some pictures and a very Barry-esque FAQ that's worth a read. I tried to post pictures of Pearson with a Steinie, and Amy Tan in some crazy leather, but, again, my computer doesn't seem to like me. :bawl:

Oh, and they're planning some event with Steve Martin (to make this a little less OT).

14. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    *sigh* me too, old guy, me too. My God, I'm old!!

15. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
  16. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Stu Hamm plays with Rock Bottom Remainders?

17. I remember Bruce Willis doing some blues / R&B vocals with a band he had during his TV years on Moonlighting.

18. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    The worst IMO was Eddie Murphy!!

"My girl wants to party all the time, party all the time, party all the tiiiiiiiiime!!"

:D

19. 72beetle

72beetle

Jun 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Au contraire, Party All The Time was pure yack, but Boogie In Your Butt is a timeless classic!

20. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    You've obviously never heard William Shatner! :eek: :D