Steve maybe you can help me!

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Andy Cleaver, Apr 3, 2005.

1. Andy Cleaver

Andy Cleaver A show of hands....

Dec 16, 2004
    England, Midlands
    I'm desperately seeking a bass teacher around the East Midlands/Leicestershire area and was wondering if you know of anyone in this area?

I've been playing for 4 years and really want a tutor to help me get more direction and really teach me music theory and its application to the bass across all techniques. I've tried learning from the net but I would be so much more inspired, and learn much more from a teacher!

If you can help me that would be very much appreciated. No worries if you don't know anyone from around here! I'm also looking into the possibility of coming down to you for a lesson either once a month or bi-weekly. Just looking at train fares, or considering whether driving would be a better option.

(If anyone else around this area reads this and knows of someone, please let me know)!

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi Andy,

nobody springs immediately to mind. I'm sure there are teachers around, but whether they are any good or not, I couldn't say without at least meeting them! :)

Let me know when you've found out the details on train fayres - if you book far enough in advance and can get a super-apex, it's a pretty cheap travel option. I'll make sure I don't go moving lessons that you've already got train tickets for too... ;)

3. Tonkenna

Dec 15, 2003
    Loughborough, UK

I'm in a similar area, Loughborough. I don't know of any teachers around the east midlands, but I do urge you to get down to Steve's for a lesson. He's got a knack for spotting the musical places where you feel less comfortable, and gently manoeuvring you in those directions until you improve - I hate that bit of the lesson! But you definitely get your money's worth. I'm starting again after a bit of a layoff, and it's definitely possible to travel to north london from where you are - drive straight down the M1 for about an hour, then 20-30 minutes around the north circular, really easy.

Do it!

4. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Check out the forums at - there is a section where people can list their availability for teaching. There's no-one from the East Midlands on there at the moment, but I can recommend Christian Nokes (whose advert is on there) at Professional Music Technology in Birmingham.

I took a lesson with him about two months ago which instantly cleared up all sorts of problems that I had had for years!

I'm moving to London at the weekend so hope to be able to take a lesson with our Steve sometime soon!