Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Steve & Michael - Ambient Music on Solo Bass

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by osciphex, Aug 28, 2004.

1. osciphex

osciphex

Jun 1, 2001
    Hey Steve, I was listening to a clip from "You Can't Throw It Away" off of your new album just now. Very neat, almost ambient sounding stuff. How much overdubbing did you use in this? Is there a synth sound in there or is it all bass? How processed is the sound?

I also saw Michael doing some ambient type stuff on the hyperbass at a gig of his in Milwaukee. He'd play a note and then use a volume control and other electronics to sort of crecendo and layer the notes together. It practically shook the building, it was awesome. I hope something like that shows up on his upcoming solo CD...

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    osciphex,

'You Can't Throw It Away' is one live take in the studio - everything I do is. No additional overdubs, just real time looping. No synth either. It's all played, then looped and processed just as you hear it, no stops, no extra parts added... :)

glad you're enjoying it!

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

3. I have to say Steve, you have to have one of the best memories ever to be able to remember which buttons to press and which effect to use at exactly the right moment. I just wouldn't be able to do summit like that..... :-(

4. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    you would if you'd been doing it for years - I didn't start with the set up I've got now. I started with one sampler and a clean bass sound, just playing chords and tunes, then got into adding bass parts, then got into some simple processing, then about four years after that added a second looper, etc. etc. it takes years to get inside what an one combination of gear will do, which is why I tend not to upgrade til I've got a handle on what one set up will do. I'm hardly scratching the surface of what's possible with what I've got at the moment...

cheers

steve
    www.stevelawson.net

5. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Thanks, osciphex! I'm enjoying doing the ambient stuff these days. Maybe I should look into recording something like that...