Steve Miller Band/The Joker?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by minkis, Jan 19, 2001.

1. minkis

Sep 8, 2000
    My friend and i have been arguing recently about this tune. the deal is that a popular guy right now by the name of Shaggy has a song on his cd by the name of Angel, the music of this song is the same as that of steve miller bands, the joker. my freind doesnt think so. he thinks that it was taken from a song in the 50's and steve miller band covered it from them and then shaggy and so forth. i just checked cdnow and found that next to the credits for Angel on shaggy's cd it says Miller, S.. next to the song on the steve miller band it says Curtis/E/M.. could someone help me out so i can end this argument. Please
  2. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    You are exactly right. I hate how these damned rappers and hip hoppers have to steal other people's music (i.e. Motown, Funk, Classic Rock) and call it sampling. I wish they could just go write their own tunes and play their own instruments. Of course, if their ablitiy to compose is as good as their ability to rap then I don't wanna hear it. My side band does The Joker with 2 drummers and a bongo player, 2 guitars, a bass, and a bunch of vocals. We do the Todd Snider version in G, not F.
  3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The SAMPLE is from the Steve Miller record.

The writing credit on the Shaggy CD also lists Ahmet Ertegun (owner of Atlantic Records) so my guess is that when Steve did the song he copped a lick from some old R&B tune from the 50s that Ahmet had songwriting credit on.

So the truth is you're both right!!!