Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Steve Miller band

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Yvon, Jun 4, 2002.

1. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    WHo was the bass player with Steve Miller in the 70's?
    I love his playing great groove.
    My favorite bass line must be jungle love.
    I never knew who played it though...

Any info on the guy?

2. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    ok, i found this!
    [​IMG]

any other info on the guy?

3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I love Gerald Johnson!!! I used to go see him play with Steve Miller in N.Y. in the old days, and he always stole the show! He plays his bass like Jimmy Haslip, with the higher strings on the top. He came through here a few months back with blues guitarist Steve Pierson, and I couldn't go because I had a gig:( He is on Pierson's last C.D. " Blues Head". In the 90's Gerald toured with Crosby Stills & Nash..........Gerald was one of those guys that showed you can be funky and play in a rock & roll band:D You picked a good one Yvon!!!

4. Gerald was with Steve in the early 70's. I don't believe he played on "Jungle Love".

There is a killer clip from the archives of "Don Kirschner's Rock Concert" with Steve's early lineup.

I believe Lonnie Turner played bass on "Jungle Love"

5. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I remember back when I was a wee lad and just starting out on bass I use to always go borrow my dad's Steve Miller tape because the bass was so clear and indentifiable. (And now that I'm able to pick that bass out of most any recording, I still think thier recordings are still some of the best for hearing the bass)

SMB had so many memorable and great bass lines like The Joker, Swingtown, Jet Airliner, and Space Cowboy.

frostyman1962 likes this.
  6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    On the very cool solo in " Shu Ba Da Du Ma Ma" Gerald "borrowed" a little of Willie Weeks legendary solo from the Live Donnie Hathaway album. The whole Joker album had great playing on it! When I saw Gerald play live, he used to always throw the Popeye theme song in the middle of his solo.

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I remember seeing that...if I recall, Johnson was sitting down & workin' that natural wood P-bass.
    ...and I mean workin' it.

BTW, Jerry reminded of this guy 'cause I asked the same question as Yvon(about 3 years ago). ;)

8. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    thank you guys.
    Is there a bass player that you don't know Jerry???
    I should have E-mailed you directly :)

I did a search on goodle for the Don Kirschner's Rock Concert, and couldn't find much of anything.
    Anybody have a link where i could download (if possible) the video?

Thanks!

9. VH-1 brought back some of the early Don Kirschner shows a few years back. You may want to try their site.

10. Headroom

Headroom

Apr 5, 2002