Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Steve- modulus basses

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by ceeprm, Dec 6, 2004.

1. ceeprm

ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    Hi Steve

Since you are the modulus guru I was wondering where I would be able to get a modulus vintage jazz bass here in the UK. Do you order you basses via Smart distribution or direct from the US? (Im considering both options.)
    Even better do you know anybody selling one here in the UK? Ive decided that Im sick of moving wooden necks due to my cold flat in Scotland!

cheers

Philip

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi Philip,

I'd suggest emailing SMART - if they have any in stock that you can try out, then that'd be useful to try before you buy.

If they haven't, I'd probably recommend going via one of the larger US Modulus dealers - my choice would be Bass NorthWest in Seattle - good people, and with the dollar the way it is at the moment, even with Shipping and duty, you're going to save money... Might be worth looking into flying out there to pick it up, once you factor in the shipping cost... :)

Welcome to the graphite family... :D

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

3. ceeprm

ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    Thanks- theperfectbass.com have just quoted me $1750 including shipping on the one on their website which is sunburst with pre-amp.
    I think smart are quoting around £1500 for the same bass!!

The trouble with flying over to pick it up is that I might be tempted to sneak it back through customs without declaring it!

cheers

Philip

4. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    That's sounds like a great price to me! Given that the dollar to pound at the moment is 1.94:1 !!!

Let us know what you think of it when it arrives...

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

5. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Dont forget +3.7% import duty and +17.5% VAT on imports.

6. ceeprm

ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    Yeah that still amounts to only £1100 which is a saving of £400 compared with ordering via smart distribution!