Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

STEVE!....questions about old rig

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by j_sun23, Nov 3, 2003.

1. j_sun23

j_sun23

Feb 24, 2003
    Baton Rouge LA
    I know you used to use a couple of dl4's. It seems like I read that you had them in the effects loop of a mixer. Am I imagining things?

I have a loop project in the works, a dl4, and not enough dough right now for a EDP. Thing is, for this idea to work (looped bass AND drums) I have to have the looper in the effects loop of the mixer. I know the dl4 stompbox was designed as just that, and not intended to go in an effects loop, but I'm wondering now if it'll work.

If my memory is wrong, then I guess just ignore my question, or maybe give me some warm-hearted encouragement :)

If I am right, then could you tell me more about your old setup and any problems you had with the dl4 in the fx loop?

Thanks a ton.

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    howdy,

I don't think I was running the DL4 in an effects loop... I think the set up when I was using the DL4 and a desk (which was only for the recording of Not Dancing For Chicken), involved having the DL4 coming out of... oh, actually I did have it in one of the auxilliaries on the desk, I tell a lie! I had it in an aux, but it was only so I could route more than one thing through it - it wouldn't work 'properly' in the side chain as there's no option to have 100% wet signal on the DL4, so whenever something was going through it, I was getting two signals.

I can't remember exactly what I did to get round that, but I seem to remember doing a lot of frantic panning and changing of effects send levels whilst recording those tunes (all of them were recorded live in the studio, with me engineering as I went along! :) )

hope that was of some help...

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

3. j_sun23

j_sun23

Feb 24, 2003
    Baton Rouge LA
    Thanks Steve. I was mainly was concerned with the fx loop being too hot a signal for the dl4's input. I've tried using it in my preamp's fx chain (ADA MB-1) so that I could change the sounds each time I recorded and overdubed the loop, but it was really hard to get a signal that wasn't too hot for the dl4 without killing the gain of the signal running through the preamp (does that make sense?). It's like I'm using the preamp to amplify the bass signal, then attenuating the preamp signal back to bass level to go into the pedal, so I lose a ton of volume and it kinda sounds like ****e.

I'm hoping that the mixer will be different. If not, then I'll be saving up for a damn EDP. Who am I kidding, I'll be saving up for a damn EDP anyway, but until then, I'd really like the dl4 to work in the fx chain of the mixer. I'm whining so I'll go now.

Thanks again Stevo.

4. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    I think you'll find it much easier to use in an auxilliary on a desk, as the attenuation won't affect your straight signal, so it'll just a matter of matching it with the FX send level for the DL4... should be a lot easier

cheers

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net