steve rodby

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Marcus Johnson, May 5, 2002.

1. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Okay, this is probably a can of worms, like mentioning Patitucci, but what do you think of this guy? I heard him on the new Metheny CD, which isn't my thing. No solos, as usual. But he sure has some good intonation and time. His bass sounded almost like a fretless BG on one track. Has he done anything else, maybe something with some improvisation? Don't flame me too hard; I'm just curious.
  2. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Running him through shows a really interesting career:

* He produced Brecker's new ballad album -- and if that's not IT I'll never know what IT is.

* He recorded and produced a bunch of things with Oregon and some Oregonians.

* He recorded with Tom Paxton and some other well-known folkies.

* He's been in the Metheny Group for about four times longer than Mark Egan.
  3. brooklynbassguy

brooklynbassguy Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2004
    maplewood, nj, usa
    I'm a big admirer of Steve Rodby's playing with Pat Metheny for both his sound and his solidness. Anybody know how he records his bass, and what he uses for basses, etc...
  4. brooklynbassguy

Feb 8, 2004
    maplewood, nj, usa
  5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    There are two CDs he did with guitarist Russ Traut, one's called THE GREAT LAWN and I can't remember the other one. Duo, a nice mix of standards and Motown tunes. He's got a nice solo on SOME OTHER TIME...
  6. nypiano

Feb 10, 2003
    I think you would have to singularly give the guy credit for putting acoustic bass in a place where one might not have imagined being prior. Both through his balanced sound--of acoustic/amplification and his feel for playing DB outside swing bag per se.

BTW--I first heard about him through a play along record of my Dad's before he joined PMG. He's on vol 20. As per usual Mr. Raney complained of the time speeding up :scowl:
  7. brooklynbassguy

Feb 8, 2004
    maplewood, nj, usa
    Exactly, this guy has put the upright in a more pop like setting, and makes it sound right. There are early Jamerson recordings where he plays upright on motown stuff, but Steve is making it happen now, and opening the a few doors along the way...
  8. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I think he's a great player. I forget he's on an upright sometimes. I have a couple PM DVD's and he has a big rack f gear. Don't know what's in it, but he sounds great.
  9. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Asking the man itself is IMO the best source!
    I emailed him a few years ago, and got a fast reply.
  10. Rodby also wrote a good column for one of the bass magazines some years back. Saw him in the 80's playing both DB and EB in the heyday of Metheny's electric sound. Good concert, solid playing but the bass was pushed down in the mix too much for my taste.

John Pizarelli tells a good story about taking his father to a Metheny concert. Bucky kept remarking about the number of guitars Metheny used and how the stage hands would deliver them between tunes. It was an alien world to him.