Steve Steve I got a job help.

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by TaySte_2000, Aug 1, 2002.

1. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    This guy comes up to me when i'm in the supermarket and goes you wanna play and help me write some songs, so I say sure ok what type of music is it.

It turns out I will be doing like rock over dance loops and stuff so I suggested the idea of some solo bass influences.

Any ideas for some interesting bass loops to solo over with some keyboards and a 5 string bass.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
  2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    sounds like a fun gig!

Try working out bass hooks that are fairly ambiguous harmonically - anything pentatonic will leave loads of room for messing the chords around on top. It's a great lesson in harmony to take a bass line that uses, say, an A minor pentatonic, and then to harmonise a C Major scale, and use all the chords against it.

Have a listen to 'Kind Of Blue' by Miles Davis - some amazing tunes with very simple underlying harmony, but hugely rich and complex things going on against it, particularly So What....

most of all, keep telling yourself 'no boundaries, no boundaries'... :oops:) experiment remembering there's only one rule - if it sounds good, play it again, and if it doesn't, don't...