Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Steve Swallow back with Metheny and Burton!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by DaveBeny, Jan 10, 2006.

1. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    From www.garyburton.com:
    "Probably the big news of 2006 is another project with Pat Metheny. This came out of an experiment at the Montreal Jazz Festival this past summer. Pat suggested that we revive the songs from my early bands, circa 1967-77, and we got Steve Swallow to join the project given that he wrote a fair number of the tunes I played during that era. Along with Pat¹s regular drummer, Antonio Sanchez, we had a terrific concert in Montreal and immediately decided we should do something more with the concept. The result is a three-week tour being organized now for late spring, and a new recording scheduled for release later in the year."

The tour dates announced so far are:
    May 26-27 Blue Note, Nagoya, Japan
    May 29-Jun 3 Blue Note, Tokyo, Japan
    June 5-6 Blue Note, Osaka, Japan
    June 8-11 Yoshi's, Oakland, CA
    June 12 Carmel, CA
    June 13 Santa Barbara, CA
    June 15 Ravinia, Chicago, IL
    June 16 East Lansing, MI

These gigs will definitely be worth catching! :bassist:

2. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    This is wonderful news! There are few groups that I like better than those ECM-era Gary Burton bands.

3. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    nice... one of my favorite players with two of my favorite jazz players.

4. Man I'm pretty excited about this. When I saw Metheny in Buffalo about a year ago it was absolutely amazing. Antonio Sanchez is THE best drummer I've ever seen.

5. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Pics from the Montreal Jazz Fest reunion:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. VJP

VJP Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2001
    NJ
    That's really cool. I've been hoping for a Metheny/Burton "reunion" ever since their "Reunion" cd came out back in 1990 ( or was it '91 ? ). I just wish it was with Will Lee again. But I do love Swallow, so this will be almost as cool.

7. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I saw PMG (or PMT) back in the beginning of 2004 and he had Antonio and Christian McBride both playing with him... it was unreal. Antonio is one of the most sought-after drummers! I think that he is up there with Blades, El Negro, Jeff Ballard, Bill Stewart and Jorgy Rossi!!!

8. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Agh! Don't forget Jeff Tain Watts and Lewis Nash -- for a more swangin' style! But I agree Antonio Sanchez is great.

I wish Keith Jarrett were playing with this group too!

9. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    'Tain is also amazing, but I like Antonio's vibe more with PMG/T. Pat is so rhythmically dynamic, having a percussionist/drummer that is less swing and has more of a organic feel, really brings out that 'organic' element in Pat's playing.

yeah... or Danilo.

10. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Yeah I can dig what you're saying about Antonio. Tain and Lewis Nash are both essentially pure swingin'. Sanchez perfectly complements Metheny's style.

Danilo would smoke with them I'm sure. I'm just talkin' Jarrett because he played with Swallow and Burton back in the day!

I've been listening to a lot of En Route with Sco, Swallow and Bill Stewart. Dare I saw Swallow has gotten much better at electric bass since he first started.

11. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Jarrett, Swallow and Burton IS the shizz, I do agree!

I saw the Sco, Swallow and Bill gig when they came into town... they co-billed with the Brad Mehldau Trio (Larry Grendier & Jeff Ballard)... sick stuff I tell ya!!!!

12. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    OH MAN!!! I wish I could've seen that!

****ttttttttt. I'm really glad Ballard replaced Jorge Rossy. He definitely has a surer swing.

13. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Rossy is amazing on the Largo album and he works very well with Grenadier's playing in the trio settings as well... Jeff is a monsta! I have been into him since he was playing with Avishai Cohen. I like him with Mehldau's playing way more...

Have you heard the latest Rosenwinkel with Ballard and Brad? Very killin stuff!

14. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Are you talking about Deep Song?

If so, yes. Awesome stuff. Rosenwinkel is one of the greatest guitarists of today.

15. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    yep Deep Song.... scary!

One of my fav's from him... I have nearly everything that kurt has put out... Reminds me of Pat Metheny with some of his lines.

16. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Right on. But with his own sound and his own voice. His lines are so legato and I utterly LOVE how he sings along with his playing. I always thought it was a cool synth sound, but it was verified that it's his voice + a good amount of reverb. I dig, hard.

Heartcore is, imo, the most original album in a long time by a jazz artist. Q-Tip (oldschool Tribe Called Quest rapper) produced it and it's great. Ballard on drums as well, with Ethan Iverson from the Bad Plus. I urge everyone to buy this record.

There's also a great guitarist in a similar vein, a little less swinging, but that doesn't take anything away from his playing. Ben Monder is his name. Brilliant compositions and he would sound brilliant with Rosenwinkel on a collaboration.

17. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    Keith Jarrett is such a cooperative side man -- NOT!

Gary Burton has had some excellent drummers in his groups: Roy Haynes, Bob Moses, Danny Gottlieb, Adam Nussbaum, etc.

18. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    When they first got back together at the Montreal Jazz Fest last year, the original plan had been to have Roy Haynes on drums - he couldn't make it due to touring commitments. I think I actually prefer that they've got a younger musician in the quartet - keeps it from being too nostalgic.

19. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Get him around his old buddies and he might be a good sideman. Burton is a powerful personality in the jazz world - definitely!

20. AndreasH

AndreasH

Apr 8, 2005
    Sweden
    I saw Pat Metheny group with Sanchez and it was great! He's probably the best Jazz drummer alive! Except for Roy Haynes ;) BTW He played bass at that concert :D