Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Steve Swallow fans?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by WillBuckingham, Jul 15, 2005.

1. WillBuckingham

WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    Hey I'm trying to get started on listening to some Steve Swallow. There are very limited resources on the web and I'm hoping that somone wouldn't mind breaking down some of his recordings for me, with recommendations of where to start.

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Any of the John Scofield Trio recordings, pretty much any of the Gary Burton group recordings- there's a nice one that has GB, Steve, Eberhard Weber, Mick Goodrick, Pat Metheny and Bob Moses; the name escapes me at the moment.

3. WillBuckingham

WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    Cool. Is Eberhardt Weber playing cello?

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    No, there are two basses and two guitars...

5. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Passengers, right? I was lucky enough to see a show on that tour.

Also check out the Carla Bley stuff, it's pretty interesting.

6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The Burton album with Eberhard Weber is called "Passengers". Swallow left Burton's band sometime in the mid 80s so more recent Burton has someone else on bass. The really early Burton stuff on RCA has Steve on UPRIGHT which he no longer plays.

There are four Scofield trio recordings I know about. Bar Talk has been out of print for years, Shinola and Out Like A Light are from the same set of live shows, both good but SHORT (only 30 minutes or so) and harder to find. The latest one Enroute is the easiest to find and it's very good so I'd start there.

Steve has a number of solo albums out in various styles, hard to say where to start. He's recorded a few duets with his partner (wife? not sure they ever got married) Carla Bley that are lots of fun if you like Monkish piano.

Steve has posted a number of charts for his tunes online!

http://www.wattxtrawatt.com/leadsheetsswallow.htm

7. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    One of my favorite Swallow recordings is one he did in 1980 or so called "Home." It's settings of poems by Robert Creeley. IIRC, it has Sheila Jordan, Bob Moses, Dave Liebman, Steve Kuhn, and Pete Levin. Great stuff. One of the more interesting things is that because the poems are so concise, they mostly are used just as brief sections of the overall pieces. In other words, it's not really a vocalist's record (despite the presence of a vocalist) with occasional solos. The vocals are really no more featured than the instrumentalists.

8. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    If you want to check out Steve on real bass -
    BASRA - Pete LaRoca, SS, Steve Kun and JoHen
    Art Farmer Quartet - Art, SS, Jim Hall and Walter Perkins

9. Here's my favorite Swallow recordings:

Scofield/Metheny/Stewart/Swallow - I can see your house from here
    Steve Swallow - Swallow
    Steve Swallow - Real Book

There's also another one he did with the Gary Burton quintet, I can't remember the name, but it has great swallow playing on it.

The charts are only leadsheets, they will give you an insight on swallow the composer, which is amazing ...swallow the bassist is incredible too

10. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Am I a little nuts, or is this the same Steve Swallow that's posting over on TBDB?

11. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    He plays some beautiful solo stuff on Bob Moses' Visit With The Great Spirit, too.

12. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Oops, sorry, I was thinking Steve Swanson. Damn. Well, that guy's amazing too -- go to TBDB's Double Bass Sampler, he's got some really nice cuts on there.

13. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    I second the Home CD. It's a great record

I also like Times Square, Real Life Hits, Picture this. These three might be my favorites because the Burton quartet was terrific in the seventies and Steve is playing his souped up Fender 4 string.

There's a great record from the sixties of the Gary Burton Quartet with Larry Coryell on guitar and Steve on upright bass. He sounds great and even does a solo piece I want You by Bob Dylan.

Duets and Go Together are also terrific duo setting for Steve and Carla Bley. I saw them play together in St. Ann's church in Brooklyn in the 90s and it was a great show.

Real Book and Deconstructed are great quintet records playing all Swallow material. I'm glad to see people talking about him.