Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Steve Swallow's sound.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Jimmyjazz, Jan 11, 2003.

1. Jimmyjazz

Jimmyjazz Guest

Jul 19, 2002
    I'm interested in getting information about Steve Swallow's distinctive electric bass sound. I know at present he is using a Citron AE5 bass strung EADGC with adjustable wooden piezo bridge. Anyone got any information on strings, amps, settings etc.
    Thank you.

2. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    A couple of years ago, when 'Bassist' magazine still existed, Steve used to appear in adverts for Picato strings.

3. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    You gotta understand that a big part of his sound is simply how he plays. In particular, with a pick and far away from the bridge. He's recognizable no matter what he's playing.

4. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    He uses copper metal picks. I know that for live shows he usually uses a Walter Woods head and whatever rental speaker cabinets the venue supplies. I have seen pics of him playing through an Ampeg 8x10!

He did use a Parker Fly Bass for many years. Does anyone know why he switched to Citron?

Dave

5. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Oh yeah,

there is also a video of him out there playing with Carla Bley, I think it is called "very Simply."

Hope this helps,

Dave

6. Jimmyjazz

Jimmyjazz Guest

Jul 19, 2002
    Yes I have that video. Its very cool though only 4 tunes long. The interplay between him and Carla Bley is awesome and his soloing is great. Incidently on that video he plays neither the Parker or the Citron. He plays a 4 string. And there is no sign of his amp either.

7. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Since apaprently they either live together or are married, one would hope that the interplay would be good!;)

8. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I was thinking about getting that video...

I saw a tape of the two of them on "Night Music" many years ago. They sounded great.

Night Music was such a great show, too bad it was cancelled.

I am still interested in why Swallow soes not play the Parker anymore? Any info?

Dave