Steve Vai

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MikeyFingers, Jan 5, 2006.

1. I just started listening to Vai. I have Alien Love Secrets and Real Illusion: Reflexions. I'm freakin loving both albums, the style of music he plays is so damn cool. And I love that Sheehan plays bass on the Real Illusions album, he has some tastey stuff too.
    Anyway, can anyone recommend me some other really good Vai albums?
    BTW--Feel free discuss anything else Vai-related.
    And am I the only one who hated the "G3" stuff he did with Satriani? I can't stand that crap.
  2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

His first release was "Flexable". Which was probably his most basic set of compositions...recorded anyway. It is cool. and Stu Hamm is on it. The new one: Real Illusion is remarkable music, but as a player, I'm there listening to it and going...what th'!

It's out of the galaxy of major/minor scale and bar chords.

His contributions on Public Image's: Album/Compact Disc and David Lee Roth's "Eat 'Em & Smile" are great rock records too.
  3. pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    Passion and Warfare; favorite Steve Vai, and for that matter, guitar instrumental, album of all time. Simply stunning.
  4. i never knew he played with PiL. i may have to check that out :bassist:
  5. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Vai with PiL is fantastic. If there is such a thing as Vai in a support role, that is it. His playing with Zappa is great but it is hard to nail down something that is Vai-centric. Stevie's Spanking is one but there are versions where Frank takes the solo! There is a great version of Aproximate from YCDTOSA 4 that Vai rips it up on. I wouldn't buy the album just for that if you were just into Vai. He didn't stay in Frank's band for very long, and there is a reson for that. He was one player who actually had to tame his playing to be Frank's "stunt guitarist".

Also, and I paraphrase Frank's comments on Vai: "Steve Vai has many strengths as a musician. Rhythm guitar is not one of them."

I really have a hard time listening to his solo stuff now. But, The Attitude Song still gets me :bassist:
  6. ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    I'd highly reccomend listening to Bangkok and the Fire Garden Suite. Probably my favourite Vai. He puts on quite a show live too!
  7. I would check out David Lee Roth's Eat'em and Smile. IMO it's the best stuff Vai and Sheean ever did together. Great catchy songs and awsome playing.
    Vai also did an album called Sex and Religion that had T.M.Stevens on Bass, it is also woth checking out.
  8. Thanks for the info guys. I'm gonna look into some of this stuff and let ya know what I think.

BTW--has anyone here heard his album "The Elusive Light & Sound"?? It's a compilation of rare stuff he did, mostly stuff from soundtracks. There's like 40-something tracks. Some are 15 seconds long, some are full-length super-songs (like "The Reaper"). If you haven't heard it, check it out, there's some really interesting stuff.
    If you hear only one track from that monstrous album, it MUST be "Air Guitar Hell". I know Vai is a monster guitarist, but WOW. That song pushes the limits even for him, I haven't the slightest idea how he does the stuff he does on that song. And it's the perfect intro the "The Reaper".
  9. In my opinion, Passion and Warfare is by far the best Vai album, absolutely stunning!
  10. Vai had a concert in my city but I din't bother to go since I had never heard of him before (sorry, I just don't like guitar :scowl: )
    Anyway, I heard that the bassist of the group was awsome, does anyone know who he is??
  11. Probably Billy Sheehan, he played the bass when I saw Vai in October last year. Great gig, almost 3 hours non-stop!
  12. deaf pea

deaf pea

Mar 24, 2005
    Cuernavaca 1 hr S Mexico City
    Seymour Duncan/Basslines SMB-5A Endorsing Artist
    +1 on "Passion and Warfare"! with Stu Hamm on electric bass. It's from 1990, but it really doesn't sound "old" IMNSHO..