Steve Vai

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by page, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Ok, I hate shred guitarists, but some reason I really dig Vai. I kinda ignored for a while, dismissing him as a mindless wanker. Then I heard him with Zappa and I got interested. So I find Fire Garden and The Ultra Zone for 6$ each. Great buys. I love these two albums. They are like proggy fusion records with well structured songwriting that isn't based around wankage. Sure he can wank , but he actually writes songs for the song , not for maximum wankage.

Anyone dig?
  2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Yes, I've seen him live twice, I'm a big fan. But then, I'm a big fan of Shred in general, I love it. I'll admit that like most "shred" players, it's perhaps a slighty misleading tag, for instance, Satch is a shredder, but he does it with a new-blues styling, Malmsteen is a shredder but he is a Neoclassical shredder. It's all so marvellous.
  3. I only have "Sex and Religion", which I'm not mad keen on. My teacher (who also plays guitar) claims he used to know every Steve Vai lick. He also deserves major props fo giving Devin Townsend a gig :)
  4. Let's just say I went to G3 for Eric Johnson.
  5. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I've been into Vai since the first time I saw him (w/Zappa in 1980).

I think "The Ultra Zone" is a great CD. "Windows To The Soul" is one of my favorite Vai solos of all time, cool 11/8 time signature too. Sure, there are a few silly lyrics on the CD, but IMO most of the songs are very good and really grow on you the more you listen to them.
  6. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    I have his Live in london astoria dvd, its great! very inspiring, there all fantastic musicians, i just dont really like the cheesyness in the stage acting..

Other than that, amazing guitarist!
  7. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I agree the stage props (lighted robotic appendages, etc.) on that DVD were very cheesy.
    I was actually kindof dissapointed in that DVD after having seen him live about 8 times prior to seeing the DVD. When I saw him on the "Ultra Zone" tour, it was in a tiny club and was one of the most memorable Vai shows I've seen, even had Mike Kennealy in the band on keys/guitar.
  8. I just bought his CD "Real Illusions: Reflections" a short while ago, it blew my mind. Some of the songs aren't that good (that is, they're extremely....uh..different), but most of it is awesome.
    Also, gotta love "Alien Love Secrets", a masterpiece. The song "Tender Surrender" is stll one of my favorites.
  9. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    I'm a fan - for sure.

Vai has access to a depth and emotionalism most shredders - even most musicians don't have. Sometimes it boils over and turns to cheese but I think it's because he's fearless. He's not "afraid" of going there and as a result his path leads to some incredible music.

I suspect the stage antics came from his Zappa experiences.

I have all of his music - Sex & Religion is BY FAR my fav. Deeply passionate music on there but there's great stuff on ALL his releases.
  10. Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    I liked Steve Via the most on Public Image Ltd - Album

That CD also featured Jonus Helborg.
  11. Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    I love shredding.
  12. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man

I think thats all part of the fun, when you've seen him doing that kind of thing for a distance of 6 feet, it helps you appreciate how he's just having fun and getting into the music.

Also, his band now is better than it has ever been. I wasn't too hot on Jeremy Colson the first time I saw him with the band, since Virgil Donatti is a monster on the drums, but the second time I saw Colson with the band he seemed like he had really settled in, and he really took it to another level.

Also, I much prefer T-Mac on the keys to Mike Kenneally. I remember seeing the G3 '96 dvd and thinking "Phillip Bynoe on the bass-not good. Goofy hat wearing guy on the keys-not good". I think they kinda spoiled that show.
  13. duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    Great CD, only good thing Johny Rotten ever did.

BTW, that's also Ginger Baker on drums
  14. jamesblue

jamesblue Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2005
    Central Maryland
    I like Via alot, and am going to get some more music by him.

I started on guitar and realized I was more "in tune" with bass when I realized I was hearing bass lines instead of the guitar lines (if that makes sence).
    Via helped me understand what I was expereincing by his bass player not following him on guitar all the time like many bands in the 80s.
  15. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Of all the shred guys, Vai is by far and away my pick.

He does get a little over the top with some of his antics, but that's his style. I'll admit though it's more entertaining that watching Satch play, who's kinda just "there" most of the time.

I knew a guy in college who could do just about every Vai lick- on a Strat. It was pretty crazy to sit there in your dorm room and watch someone play "Speed".

16. What albums have Devin Townsend on em? I love Devin, I gotta hear him with Vai
  17. Just "Sex And Religion" I believe. Its actually Dev on the cover, looking remarkably like an alien. Its a long way from being his best work though, I reckon.
  18. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Oh yeah, it's probably my least favourite Vai album.
  19. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    he's amazing, but i just can't stand most of his stuff...Tender Surrender, Bad Horsie, Jibboom, and Eugene's Trick Bag i LOVE, but i find most of his music to be lame. which is unfortunate...
  20. I saw a DVD clip of Vai playing Little Wing. It was nauseating.