Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Steve Vai's, "Passion and Warfare"

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Da_Niet, Nov 23, 2003.

1. Da_Niet

Da_Niet

Jan 23, 2003
    California
    In the recording, "Blue Powder", from Steve Vai's classic 1990 recording, who is the bass player? I just heard the clip online while doing a search of Steve Vai on FYE.com. Anyways, this bass player sounds amazing!

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Steve Vai himself and Stu Hamm on some (the ones with slap bass) IIRC. I lost my booklet.

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure it's Stu Hamm on all tracks, but I tell you that from memory.

4. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Stu Hamm plays bass on that track. And yeah, he's awesome.

5. Da_Niet

Da_Niet

Jan 23, 2003
    California
    Wow! Stu Hamm, huh? Cool deal. I must check his stuff out.

Steve Vai is quite an extraordinary musician. Not only is he extremely talented on his chosen instrument, but he is also a great songwriter. It's unfortunate that he isn't much recognized as such.

6. lowerclef

lowerclef

Nov 10, 2003
    Stu plays on many of the tracks, but not all. Definitely Steve's best album, imo.

Check out Stu's first two solo records, Radio Free Albemuth and Kings of Sleep. Not a very functional style of bass playing for your average gig, but these albums have some great compositions and Stu had a very hip and innovative approach to his bass playing. Very catchy and fun to listen to. And Allan Holdsworth's solo on Radio Free Albemuth is to die for!