Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Steve what are the best books?

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by TaySte_2000, Dec 19, 2002.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I was just wondering what books you recomend that really give insight into solo bass.
    something where you could use the lessons or articles to create both a back bass line and the main solo one.

Also what books do you recomend for getting that funky Average white band sound and a soft melodic sound and a decent explanation of how to use them in a band situation.

Thanks very much.

If you can't think of any books you can write me one :D :D :D

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    'ello,

Books... mmm, my faves have nothing to do with what you're asking, I'm afraid... but are ones that will help you to do those things...

Improvisors Bass Method - Chuck Sher (very comprehensive, if a little tricky to navigate - lots of good Jazz related stuff...)
    Jazz Theory Book - Marc Levine (not a bass book at all, just a really good look at all that fiddly jazz stuff)
    Effortless Mastery - Kenny Werner (tonnes of stellar advice buried under some new age waffle. Highly recommended)
    The Inner Game Of Music - Barry Green (will make you a better player, guarenteed)
    Improvisation - Derek Bailey (great book, just steer well clear of his CDs... :D )

I'm not a big fan of bass methods in general, so maybe I'll have to write the one that should have been written... :)

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

3. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Thanks alot I'll have to tell Santa to stop off at a music shop on the way to my house now.

Speak to you later

Merry Christmas