1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Steven Wilson - Luminol

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by RandomBass90, Feb 16, 2013.

1. :bassist:

For those of you that haven't seen this, here's an incredible video of Nick Beggs absolutely killing it with Steven Wilson's band. Does anyone know how he's getting that amazing, warm tone?

2. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks.

Jan 25, 2011
    Camarillo, CA
    Looks like a Spector bass... I'm pretty sure one could get that tone with a Sansamp Bass Driver or VT Bass, judging by hearing them in person and watching mountains of videos. As for what he's actually using, :confused:

3. If I hadn't seen the vid I would have said he's using a pick. The natural tone of his Spector bass is a big part. An aggressive right hand technique and an OD pedal/ clean blend and a Spector bass will get you that tone.

4. bunkaroo

bunkaroo

Apr 25, 2003
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    He does use a pick on the studio version - check out the recording videos on Steven Wilson's FB page. All Spectors on the record.

5. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    Man, I am late to the party but just got this record. Nick Beggs bass playing is just fantastic. I am a BIG fan!

6. the_hook

the_hook

Apr 9, 2008
    Toronto
    Scary thing is I have the original vinyl long play single of Kajagoogoo's Too Shy song...:) Beggs' bass work on that song was what drew me to it.

I really dig his work on Wilson's album. Just read recently that the bass mix was quite low on the songs, and Beggs didn't want to push for a louder mix, figured he was hired to just play bass.

Well Wilson heard how low the bass mix was and called him back, thankfully he came to his senses put the bass where it needed to be.

I regret I couldn't see them live when there were in town last April.

7. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks.

Jan 25, 2011
    Camarillo, CA
    The show was phenomenal. Steven is such a high-energy performer, and his characteristically British humor had the audience laughing between every song. Oh, and Nick Beggs totally killed it!