Steve's in Montreal...Disgraceful!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by sargebaker, Jan 28, 2005.

1. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Never have I encountered so many incompetant people in my life! I could do a better job then them and I know about double of what everyone there knows combined! I went to buy a cable today and was treated like dirt.

Well I had no touble with the cable, it was like 35 bux, a lexes or somehtign... looked solid, guaranteed 10 years okay. Then I got to asking (my salesman who sold me my Spector and helped me in the summer) about purchasing a SansAmp RBI, and if it would be of any use to put with ym Yorkville 200W 2*10 combo. He said OH YEA IT WOULD JUST CANCEL OUT YOUR AMP'S PREAMP AND BLOW IT AWAY AND MAKE IT SOUND MORE POWERFUL.... I'm not sure if he was right (or even somewhat right with a brushed up sales pitch) I've had varrying responses but a few IMO, rather "reliable" sources (Qualabone, Whafrodamus) have suggested against the use of the RBI WITH a combo...

Then I got to asking about the boss loop station for bass, he says I just sold it, I said will you be getting mroe in for bass? and he says "for bass? there's only one loop station made by boss..." I thought, *** is this chump talking about, there are 2 for guitar, 2 for basss and I assume some for vocals / keys. and I responded, "No, there isn't" he gives me this smug -a** look, turns to his colleague and says No there isn't while rolling his eyes... :scowl: he said it would be around 300-350 bux.. once again I though full of it, after a check in the comp, the GUITAR one is over 500...

I also asked another rep about a comfort strap... I don't even think the guy knew what I was talking about... they had a cheap immitation one but I decided to pass.

In a past visit while I was in the market for P/J pickups they tried telling me that DiMarzio doesn't make a single UltraJazz pup for the bridge, or a model J, or a P/J set...

And when my Tapewounds for my Carvin (which I special ordered and cost me 90$) didnt fit and I called, and the sales rep who sold them said bring them in if we can't get them to fit we'll hook you up and when I brought my bass in they basically said tough you are on your own... (I know this is partly my fault I shouldhave measured the strings before but they should have a bit more respect / desency especially for a young/potential lifetime customer...) Also about 18 ppl looked at my bass and said oh thats not right that there is a bit of unwound string before the nut on the FB anyhoo, my dad was able to resolve that issue...

one good thing I have to say is I tried out my dream Bongo HH orange with black PG, everything said about these basses tone/ diversity is TRUE! it was monstrous! the fingerboard was a bit streaky and looked dry/open grained but it played / sounded beautifully. I found slapping/popping a little awkward with the neck pos. humbucker..
  2. Hmm, my experience at Steve's has been pretty good. Some of the employees aren't very helpful, it's that way everywhere. But generally I found the store to be a nice place with great stuff and ncie guys, especially when it isn't busy. A friend of mine works in the front, I doubt it was him. I regularly go there and talk with him and try out amps and basses. I guess you have a bad experience everywhere at least once.
  3. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    Vince has always been helpful/cool/ I like his hair, one screwed me for my strings who told me to come in and said they'd replace them then denied it in front of their boss.... Jason sold me the Spector, he's cool and gives good service, I think he was the only one who ever called me back when he said he would, but you can tell he's a salesman...nevertheless I like him. anyways, today especially gave me the impression they hire musicians who based on their appearance can't really get a job anywhere else despite their knowledge of instruments...

on a side note, are you going to be attending EXPOSURE this year again?
  4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    quite frankly i'd share this info (ie the gross misinformation given to you) with the store manager

FYI - the sans amp RBI is a rackmount unit based upon the bass driver di (BDDI). The main differences are; the RBI is a rackmount unit, the RBI has a mid control, and the RBI has a hotter output suitable for driving poweramps, (i.e., it is a stand alone preamp), while the BDDI is intended to be used as an effect/DI prior to the input of an amp head or preamp.
    If you wanted the sand amp sound with your combo you'd be better off using the BDDI, but there's no reason why the RBI wouldn't work. The only way the RBI (or any preamp) would "cancel out" the preamp of your combo would be if you plugged directly into the input of the RBI and plugged the output of the RBI into the effects return or poweramp in of your combo. It will NOT make your amp sound "more powerful", it will make it sound different. Likewise, using a BDDI (or RBI) before the input of your combo will make the amp sound different, not "more powerful".

Sounds like the guy you spoke to isn't qualified to sell dog food. :rolleyes:
  5. Sorry, but there IS only the "guitar" one. It's really suppose to be an
    "For all instruments" thing. Maybe you were thinking of something else?
  6. The Steve's in Ottawa is no better. The other day I go in and am told "You can't buy onboard preamps. They only come preinstalled within the pickups." I mentioned Aguilar, Sadowsky, Bartolini and he says he's never heard of them and finally concluded "Those must be some American boutique companies." Regardless I think they should be aware that they're guitars and basses HAVE onboard preamps. Since Wayne and John left that store has been absolutely awful. I'd rather travel the extra hour and go to Long & McQuade's who have maybe half the selection Steve's does. Still though, their service more than makes up for it.
  7. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    Oops, I was thinking multieffects units... but still there is the RC-20 and the RC20XL... eitherway the salesman should know more than they do...
  8. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    Ironically when I went to GC in Boston I liked it much better, I walked in played a Smith, bought 2 straps and left, everyone was pleasant (they didn't go out of their way to help me, but I guess they figured a kid who looks like he's about 14 wouldn't actually be buying a 3000$ Smith...) And I can't actually rmeember anyone hredding mad loud on a guitar there....

Steves on the other hand I don't remember going in there and NOT hearing some kind of butchered Yngwie cr*ap or uberwank played at level 11...
  9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    They're the same thing-the XL just has a longer record time and the addition of an "Undo" function.
  10. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Honestly, I think you sound like you don't know what you're talking about, and that may have translated to the salesdude(s). He gave his opinion about the Sansamp, while vague, was a valid opinion. Perhaps he was talking about using it in place of your preamp by running it through the loop instead. There's nothing wrong with running a Sansamp in a combo setup.

You also asked about a strap. Sorry dude, but not everybody knows every thing about straps. If he didn't know about a particular one you were looking for, it's not that big of a deal.

You were dead wrong about the looper. The salesperson was correct both on the type of looper available and the price. The way you describe it you seem to have given off an air of superiority - you asked a salesperson about something, and then didn't believe the answer you were given. If you had done that to me you would have pissed me off as well. If you've got all the answers, buddy, then don't ask questions.

And if the strings didn't fit your bass, I don't see how you could expect a salesperson to magically make them fit. You are on your own on that one. No problem with the salesperson.

Overall it seems to me you brought your problems with you into the store. You may have gotten what you perceive as less than stellar service because you didn't deserve it. Granted, everybody deserves to be treated with a modicum of respect, but as soon as you start thowing out an attitude - thinking you know more than the salesperson (who does this for a living) when you are asking questions is just asking to be treated poorly. Next time try some humility; you'll get better service that way, trust me.
  11. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    for the sansamp I dind't reaslly have a problem with the guy, I even said I like him, he sold me my bass, I just think he was brushing his sales pitch up a bit a pushing it a little (which is okay, he's a salesman, I work in retail and I do it to when i need to)

For the loop granted I was wrong, I got mixed up with the multieffects stations... I accept it, and have been humilified, however his price was wrong because when his colleague checked on the comp it was about 550 bux, not the 300-350 he quoted, okay I was wrong for the loop thing I'll admit it, I also maybe over reacted but the guy was nevertheless a butt!

I dind't expect the salesman to magically fit my strings on, I said hey, they don't fit, and SHE said well bring em in we'll see if we can fit them and if not we'll replace them...I just expected a little better customer service, then basically tough luck you're on your own...

and nobody deserves to be treated with less than stellar service...I've had some a**hole clients come to my store and I was never rude to them. And if a salesman who works in pickups doesn't know that DiMarzio make a P/J set, or single UltraJazz pups he may want to re-consider his line of work with all due respect..

And comfort strap is a well known strap, I would expect someone dealing in strap to know them...
  12. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I don,t go to steve anymore.
    I've been once in a few years. Archambault downtown is much better or Italmelodie. FOr the comfort strap buy it from club bass, that's what I did.

And for the cable look for the digiflex cable at archambault, very nice, made in québec and not too expensive.
  13. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Just so you know, Levy's doesn't make or have anything to do with Comfort Strapps. Comfort Strapp is a company unto itself
  14. Vince is actually a friend of mine's older brother, and Joey's sister is a good friend of mine, so we always talk bass and he sold me his Sansamp recently. Both really nice guys.

My band's not playing Exposure this year since we never signed up or anything and we're in the process of finding a singer. How about you?
  15. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    I have been buying gear from Steve's for 30 years.

You sound like a moron. :eyebrow:
  16. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    I'm no moron thank you very much. Okay I was misinformed bout the comfort strapp, nevertheless I just asked the guy for "comfortstrap" As for the beggining phrase I was exagerating somewhat (cause I was a little p-o'ed) But I was surprised at how rude the guy was (even when he was selling pics/strings to my guitar newbie friend) even when we walked out the first thing he said was "Jeez that guy was an a**hole" and he usually doesn't give a darn about sales people. It's not everyone, like I said there are people who have in the past been very helpful or at the least pleasant, but there have been those times (last night being one of them and probably the worst) where you walk in nobody knows anything and the workers are outright rude.

I've never gone to Ital, I had a rude guy on the phone when I was shopping for my amp (but that's another story) I still plan on checking it out one day though. I've had nothing but good experience with Archambault and this little place called Jimmy's (Where I bought my amp)

As for EXPOSURE nah we aint playing, I just joined a new band, and I have to work that day.

OFF TOPIC: does anyone deal with Pierre Laporte? I've been trying to get a hold of him for a long time now, he's hard to reach.
  17. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    When I've been to the Steve's here in Toronto, some of the staff are decent, but there are a few of them who couldn't pour water out of a boot if there were instructions printed on the heel. My friend got into an argument with one guy about the existence of his guitar. He has an ES-330, and the guy insisted that no, it was a 335, that there was never a Gibson model called a 330. I thought this to be funny but then I was in there another time, and I wanted strings. The strings I wanted were DR Sunbeams, and the guy insisted that no such string existed. Not that Steve's didn't carry it, not that he hadn't heard of them, but that there was no such thing. I don't expect everyone in a store to have perfect knowledge, but if I ask for something, they should at least listen to what I'm saying and not insist that I'm making up products to irritate them. But as I said, there are a number of decent Steve's people, just a few tools as well.
  18. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    I find the guitar tech section at Steve's is very good. That said, most of the people working the accessories section are a bunch of arrogant a$$es imo, except the asian girl, who is always super helpful and polite. Italmelodie guitar staff are always polite and helpful, but the trek to Jean Talon is a bit of a stretch from the south shore.
  19. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Mr. Pot, meet Mr. Kettle.