Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Steve's Spanish style - tunings?

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Warlock, Apr 4, 2004.

1. Hi Steve,

I really like that Spanish style that you play. I fact I really do like Spanish guitar too. I have being playing around on my basss with the technique for a while and wonder what tunings are you using on your bass for the style?

I'm hoping it's something that won't break my wooden neck :)

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi Dave,

My 6 strings are both tuned standard - B E A D G C - no weirdness going on there. The key to the sound being a bit different from normal is a) the flatwound strings, and b) picking with my nails. Experiment and I'm sure you'll find a version of the same technique that works for you!

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

3. Thanks for this Steve. As simple as that but with 20 years more practice for me ;) - The nails is it then, I'll have a go.

Thanks again.

4. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    And the nail varnish. That helps too. Darker colors absorb more light which is then translated to heat. Greater heat in the fingertips produces a more cohesive relationship between the fingers and the strings.

True story.

j. :D

5. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Haha! Maybe I should conduct some scientific research into the functionality of certain brands and colours of nail varnish.

:p

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

6. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    When ever I tried nail polish I just got nail polish dust over my bass, due to me flicking the strings with my nail, spanish guitar style.

I found a full pedicure and french nail treatment did the trick now I fell pretty and don't worry about my playing.

7. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    Surely there's a research grant available for these things...thousands have received absurd amounts of cash for far less.

Now, do you try to match the varnish color with other accessories or is that a bit too Eddie Izzard for you?

J.

8. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Is it possible for ANYTHING to be 'too Eddie Izzard'???? the world is clearly not Izzard enough... :D

I tend to be too scatterbrained to actually remember to co-ordinate, but do occasionally feel guilty if the clash between nails and furry jacket is too extreme...

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

9. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    Wasn't that the title of the last Bond movie? If not, it certainly should have been. I think I'm going to put that on either a t-shirt or a bumper sticker.

Steve Lawson: Fashionista.

J.

10. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    ..and there's my T-shirt slogan sorted too! :D

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net