Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stevie Ray Vaughan bassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Wes I AM, Aug 28, 2000.

1. Wes I AM

Wes I AM

May 27, 2000
    Tampa, FL
    Man the bassist from Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble kicks ass. Listen to the album "Couldn't Stand the Weather" and tell me whatcha tink...

PS whats he using?

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    That's Tommy Shannon. I've only seen him playing a Fender Jazz 4-string. Dunno what year.

Also, Listen to the album "In Step", my favorite.

[Edited by Munjibunga on 08-28-2000 at 10:44 PM]

3. Tommy also played a P bass on many SRV recordings. FYI Tommy Shannon was Johnny Winter's bassist back in the 60's and he was in Johnny's band at Woodstock.

4. Tommy Shannon is a big source of inspiration for me. Check out the Double Trouble web site. Lots of cool info, photos and stuff. They're still doing a lot of recording. Check out some of they're more recent stuff, too. I have the new Debbie Davis that she recorded with them in Austin. Those boys lay it down as good as ever.
    Double Trouble Website

5. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Tommy Shannon has been a favorite blues bassist of mine for years. No one has mentioned his work on the Arc Angels album with Chris Layton (of course) on drums. That was good, too, and I wonder why the Arc Angels haven't continued.

I like Shannon because he is not flashy, but he is extremely effective. I just read a quote somewhere and I wish I could remember where, but it said, "A bass player is not the "star" of the band. He is the "soul" of the band." That what I feel about Shannon. He just kind of stands there, but if you watch his video with Stevie Ray Vaughan you can see that he is always alert listening for what Vaughan is doing and working to keep just the right driving bass line going for Stevie.

It must have been a terrible blow to himself and Chris Layton when Stevie Ray died, but the two have kept going remarkably.

Jason Oldsted

6. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I watched the SRV Legends episode on VH-1 and he played quite a few basses on that...

He has his Fender J's from all times
    He has a 57 P that Stevie gave him
    He played some sort of older Peavey or Ibanez that was pretty cool
    He had a red (what looked like) Aria Pro 5 string

There was an issue of Bass Player that had him on the cover that was great and more informative, but I don't have it here.

He is an amazing player, though. Awesome blues bassist (for a white guy)

7. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    I've always really enjoyed Tommy's playing. And let's face it: he deserves credit just for being able to keep up with SRV. ;)

8. Wes I AM

Wes I AM

May 27, 2000
    Tampa, FL
    Hell yeah J! Stevie Ray is the man. I dont care if he's a guitar player, he could probably pick up a bass and blow us all away...

9. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Yep....wanna talk about a great blues bass player....just mention Tommy's name. He is ALWAYS as solid as can be. I especially like his old stuff with Johnny Winter. I can listen to that...ALL day!

10. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    If you like Tommy Shannon and Chris Layton you might want to check out the work they did with their band Storyville. They hold the band together with some pretty tight grooves. The singer is ok, but the guitarist doesn't remotely come close to Stevie - not that anyone ever will.

11. soundofphysics

soundofphysics

Jul 17, 2000
    tommy is pretty darn close to my personal savior- from him i've discovered the beauty of simplicity while still being able to have lots of fun. and just as a side note- you know the stevie song crossfire.... written entirely by "The man" Tommy

JP

12. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    "you know the stevie song crossfire.... written entirely by "The man" Tommy"

I bet a LOT of people aren't aware of that fact. Especially the guitar players....:)

13. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Actually, I think it was co-written by Tommy and Stevie. Tommy got credit because he wrote the distinctive bass line that carries the tune.

14. soundofphysics

soundofphysics

Jul 17, 2000
    nope, stevie was respobsible for like the guitar fills and such, but the general music, and basic guitar structure discounting stevie's fills, and solos all was the work of tommy. Don't get em wrong though i love stevie (as much as a bassist can love a g**tarist)

15. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Well now, it seems to me that, if you discount Stevie's fills and solos, that pretty much leaves the bass line that was written, eh?

16. Old Blue

Old Blue

Mar 18, 2000
    Texas
    Well guys, Stevie was one of my favorite guitarists. And Tommy Shannon just flat out wails as a bassist in my humble opinion. Love his work with Johnny Winter, too. Come to think of it, Johhny's not a bad picker, either. Good ol' Texas blues.....

17. 5not4

5not4

Sep 7, 2000
    Flint, MI
    I've got two Storyville CD's with Tommy playing his great lines. "Piece of Your Soul" was released in '96 and "Dog Years" was released in '98. Check these two out!!
    IMHO, Piece of Your Soul is the better of the two.