Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

STEVIE RAY VAUGHAN!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MikeyFingers, Nov 14, 2005.

1. I've been listening to SRV a LOT lately. I used to be a huge fan of his, but it's been a while since I broke out the CD's. I forgot how much I love this guy. I'm listening to Tin Pan Alley right now, it's just melting me in my seat. The whole intro/solo is nothing short of genius.
    Any other fans here? What's your favorite song(s)?

2. SRV is awesome...i like all his songs!
    i remember seeing on TV they said that SRV once had a dream that jimi hendrix taught him all these new chords and used them on once of his hit songs, but can't remember which one...
    i like his version of little wing, but i like hendrix's version better...

3. Yeah? I actually like SRV's version a little better, just because it's instrumental. Those chords, that pattern, just sounds so perfect without vocals. Just my opinion.
    As for Voodoo Child....well, Stevie did it great, but nothing can beat Hendrix's 13 minute version at Woodstock:)

4. my take on SRV's little wing (and SRV in general, compared to hendrix) is that SRV's version is really clean. In other words, almost too perfect to me...one thing i liked about hendrix over SRV is that hendrix seems "grittier" or has a "dirtier" sound, if those are words i can use :) don't get me wrong, SRV's version is amazing, but i think that the recording techniques may have cleaned it up too much...imo

5. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    I am a huge SRV fan. I love his emotion and style of playing. My favorite song is Cold Shot. I guess I just enjoy the minor feel of it.

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    SRV was/is amazing. His style was great, he would play rhythm and lead at the same time... and yet he wouldn't be over playing?!? How is that possible?! But then again, he had one of the tightest rhythm sections in rock behind him.

7. this guys name only has one letter different from my dads...

Stevie Gaughan

:p

8. He's great, but I ended up listening too much to him. In the end, what he does just starts to grow a bit old...

9. Ive actually been on a SRV kick for a while now. My favorite songs are probably "Life By The Drop", and "The Sky Is Crying". SRV rocks. :bassist:

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    growing up in jr. high, just starting to play guitar, while all my other friends were eating up whatever hair metal player showed up on MTV, SRV was my guitar god. i'll still pull out my Keeley TS-9, and ramrod a few licks w/ me strat. :cool:

11. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I'm not a die-hard blues fan, but SRV is definitely my favorite blues guitarist and one of the all-time best players to me. "Rude Mood", "Lenny", "Scuttle Buttin'", "Say What!" and "Ain't Gone'n'Give Up On Love" are some favorites that instantly come to mind.

12. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Stevie Rocks! Man could he play RIP :bassist:

13. Definitely one of the greats, taken away too soon.

I was lucky enough to see him live. He played a small venue in Providence, R.I. back in the mid eighties. After the show he went to jam with a local band Roomful of Blues at a club called Lupo's. I was about one or two years to young to get in at the time. The concert was awesome, but man, that would have been something else.

I actually miss his music and wonder what he would be doing now. His last studio album was his first after cleaning himself up. His best in my opinion or at least my favorite.

RIP

14. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    Riviera Paradise from "In Step"

One of the prettiest songs ever....

15. One of my favorites is "Couldn't Stand The Weather". The original version (from the album of the same name) was way too mellow for me, but the live version rocked ass. He made that boring riff come alive in front of an audience. I hear he was an amazing guy to see live. I've seen some videos of him playing live and I agree, but unfortunately I was too young to see him when he was around. Anyone here seen him live?

And now for a fuzzy memory....I remember a few years ago, when I was first getting into SRV. A friend of mine (who's a MONSTER guitar player) was playing around on his acoustic. I heard him play the beginning of Little Wing, so I asked (half jokingly) if he could play Scuttle Buttin', which was my favorite SRV song at the time. He was like "yeah, this neck is a little out of wack, but I'll try it". He proceeded to tear his guitar a new one. He burned through the song on a screwed up acoustic, with maybe 3 noticeable mistakes. I have yet to hear him play it on an electric. His metal band is getting amazing too. This guy has some incredible talent, approaching virtuoso level, at age 23. Yeah...that was a little off-topic, but seriously, he's beyond good. When they finish their still-in-progress second CD, I'll post some of it. When you hear this guy play, you'll be all like :eek:

Another question....is it Vaughn, or Vaughan?

16. Vaughan

The concert I saw was his "Live Alive" tour. He really does tear it up live, he had so much energy playing it was unbelievable. Of course he was pretty much coked up back then . If you have ever seen the two Austin City Limit shows on PBS you'll know what I mean. The first was when he was still hooked on drugs and alcohol, the second was after the "In Step" cd. PBS will usually play them back to back. You can see a big difference in his performance and playing. He was much more focused and his playing was spot on.

17. the best performance(IMO) was the MTV un-plugged show(actually one of the first)..Stevie on a stool with a 12 string..F-ing brilliant...