1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stevie wonder bass lines

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jman2089, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Jman2089

Jman2089 Yup, Im getting older Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    So I'm new here. I've been brushing up on some Stevie wonder bass lines. Do I do bass line. In the middle there is a bass line that has some dirt on it. I'm looking for that sound. Any suggestion?
    Fulltone fat drive? Distortion.

2. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass

Jan 18, 2009
    Virginia Beach
    Considering that Steve has written about a gazillion songs... you need to be more specific...

3. Think that's the title there. I don't know that song though, you don't mean "All I Do" do you?

4. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
  5. :rolleyes:

:bag:

6. Thundar

Thundar Don't talk old to me Supporting Member

:Dstill laughing

7. Jman2089

Sep 26, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    Yup the song title is "do I do". Nathan watts was the bass player

8. fasto

fasto

Mar 4, 2007
    Amsterdam, NL
  9. Combo breaker! :p

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    sounds to me like he does the whole song with that sound. sounds like a mic'ed tube amp. no idea what kind, but a b-15 was a likely suspect in those days. still is, too. they can distort at a nice volume for micing. any ampeg emulator should be able to get you in the ballpark but my favorite is the vt bass.

11. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass

Jan 18, 2009
    Virginia Beach
    LOL... Me too... :bag:

DOLP!!!!

12. bhawk1

bhawk1

Oct 9, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Paraphrased from the June 2010 Bass Player interview with Nate Watts (which transcribes "Do I Do" and details the signal chain used during recording):

- Maple-necked '79 Music Man StingRay (tuned down a half-step)
    - Rotosound roundwounds
    - Countryman DI into an Alembic F-2B tube preamp (set to slightly overdrive Nate's signal)

The bass was tracked to tape, then compressed during mixing with a Teletronix LA-2A limiter.

13. squarewave

squarewave Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Iowa City, Iowa USA
    Good job Bhawk1. This forum is great.

14. Jman2089

Sep 26, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    Thank you for all the input. Should have guessed about the ampeg. So now the big question has rear it's head. OD pedals.
    Vt pedal, fulltone OCD or I've stumbled on to the catalinbread SFT. Please chime in. I played in a 70s horn band. Tower of power, Chicago, Stevie wonder and of course earth, wind and fire.
    Www.sagemusic.com
    Check out funksway. Mic gillette (t.o.p)sat in and the funky doctor sat in on "take me back"

15. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    neato! that clears it up.