Stevie Wonder did he play bass??

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by GeorgeBush, Jan 1, 2003.

1. GeorgeBush

Dec 11, 2002
    Heard someone said it is it true??Wonder (the blind)??
  2. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Edited do to irelivency
  3. Arjan

Apr 18, 2002
    Yes, he played a certain kind of bass, keyboard bass. He made some great bassparts with it.
  4. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    He didn't play BG, but he did play a mean synth bass.
  5. i thought on one ablume he did every thing.
  6. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    He did. On a few of his albums he did almost everything. But the bass parts were synth. On Talking Book he got in a bass player for "You Are The Sunshine Of My Life". He got in a guitarist or 2, and some horn players too.
  7. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    That would be Scotty Edwards...a pretty well-known '70s Pop/R&B studio bassist.

I thought Wonder did play Fender bass; I also recall seeing him listed as drummer on various liner notes.
  8. G

Apr 12, 2000

Hmm... I bet he can play. Stevie can do anything with a musical instrument and it will sound good.
  9. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Hmmm maybe he could play bass, I don't know. But I don't think he played it on the records. I've not listened closely to the bass on every track, but I think it's the case that whenever he's not using a session bassist (usually Nathan Watts), he's doing synth bass. And, yeah, he did play drums on many of his songs, mainly the early 70s ones. Albums like "Where I'm Coming From", "Music Of My Mind", "Talking Book" and "Innervisions" where largely solo Stevie - he played most of the instruments - almost all the keyboards and synths, almost all the drums, and mostly synth bass. He got in session musicians for the guitar parts, some percussion, horns, and Edwards did a couple of bass parts for him. After that Stevie used more and more session musicians, and did less of the drums & bass parts himself.
  10. AHHHH!!!!!! THERE IS A THIRD ARM GROWING OUT OF HIS BACK!!!! Wait, maybe thats how he is so good, he has 3 arms... :p
  11. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Yes, Stevie Wonder can play bass. He was taught by none other than James Jameson when he was known as "Little Stevie Wonder."

He can play drums, keyboards, harmonica, guitar--you name it.
  12. Haven't you seen the Munsters?

Thing gets a credit on various Wonder records for "Tireless Bass Neck Support". That's what's going on here.
  13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well - Nathan Watts is Stevie Wonder's regular bass player nowadays and plays on most of the live shows I've seen - he also played some of the funkiest lines ever on "Songs in the key of Life"!!
  14. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Yeah. I don't think Watts started playing with Stevie until he did Songs In The Key Of Life though. I could be wrong, he could have played on "Fulfillingness' First Finale", but if memory serves, he didn't. And he certainly didn't play on "Innervisions" or earlier.
  15. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Geez, just this morning and this afternoon I've heard three songs from "Songs In The Key Of Life" on BBC Radio 2. Unusual!

"If It's Magic", "As", and "Another Star". "As" is one of my favourites - and Herbie played the Rhodes on that one :)
  16. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Stevie Wonder Is one on of My Favorite Musicians.... He can take 2 chords and make a completely unique song from them. He amazes me. And many of the basslines in his songs are just so cool. I've always wanted to play bass for Stevie Wonder..
  17. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    The definitive answer.
  18. fremenblue

Jan 8, 2003
    Eugene, Or.
    Jamerson and the guys he worked with used to have to babysit Stevie. They used to play tricks on him some. ..not because they were mean, though I think they could probably be a rough bunch. Probably more because that's what they did to people they liked, messed with 'em.