Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stevie Wonder - Do Like You

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Howard K, Sep 22, 2003.

1. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    OK, this song from Hotter Than July has possibly the most b1tchin bass line I've heard in ages.

I just cant quite grasp it - there's a hell of a lot of variation around a basic pattern, but the toughest part for is that it requires so much fast finger movement - unless I'm misinterpretting the line?

Does anyone know this song - and can any one play it?!

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  3. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    sure, you know it, or you can play it, or both?

ok, so I made a pointless post

so, is there any advice on technique you can give me - how does mr watts get that almost fretless sound?
    what scale notes are used in that line? it's an Ab min, but there's a 6th in the riff and some other notes?

i'm just after some pointers really?!

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I'm sure Brad can - but I can't say I've ever heard it.

5. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Well apparently he can, but he's obvioulsy being cryptic :rolleyes:

Bruce, buy Hotter Than July - it's great. Very cheesey song (as always). The bass on the album is superb.

FYI Bruce, the line in the song in question is very staccato, if there is such a thing and there's so much variation, little slides and embellishments that it's tough to hear what's going on.

I can approximate it, but I genuinely cant tell if i have right or not!?!

6. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Is your bassline "b1tchin"? If so, you've probably nailed it well enough...

I haven't got that song so can't comment any further.

Wulf

7. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    LOL!

No. :(

Sorry 'bout that I jus' wanna be loved...

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I'll check it out-
    If we ever get our power back...blahblah ;)

FWIW-
    You said the line has "so much variation"...sounds like it may be improv'd(e.g. Jamerson's Motown lines).
    So I agree with wulf-
    Learn the 'basic figure' & play(& continue learning/hearing what went down on the record).

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Sorry... not trying to be cryptic, just busy and didn't have much time to respond.

Yes I know it and can play it. Like a lot of stuff that sounds complicated, it's all about hand positioning. Get your fretting hand in the right place for the next note and it's really not too hard. Here's where a little video could make this extremely easy to explain.

To start with, forget the fills. Those will come once you have the basic line under your belt. The feel on the verse is based on the two hard, staccato accents in each measure. Do you hear them? The rest is fills around these accents. It's not necessary to play them (the fills) note for note. I guarantee Nate doesn't.

A couple of general tips: lighten up on your touch if necessary. Playing too hard and/or too tense just makes this kind of groove harder to play.

I have the verse moving from B to E to F#. Hand positioning is key on the unison part. Let me know if you're having an issue with the unison part and I'll try to explain a relatively easy way to play it. That line is basically descending and I noticed that while I normally use two fingers, I can get away with just one plucking finger and a series of hammer-ons. Probably much easier than you think, just takes a bit of practice.

IMO what really screws people up on lines like this is focusing more on the fills than the basic structure. If you don't already have the structure down, get it down. Everything falls into place after that.

Brad

10. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    thanks v much Brad.

have the verse moving from B to E to F#.

aah, thanks that makes sense. i had Ab minor, so I must've got that from the B and F#

as it happens the unison part i didnt have too much trouble with, not got it totally 'down' yet, but i worked out what's going on. it's easy enough to listen a couple of times and sing before playing it.

It was the main line that's a toughy, as you said the basic shape sounds quite simple - as with many funk lines, but there's so much improv that it's hard to hear precisely what it is!

Oh yeah I hear 'em :) - those were my start point, but of course they're masked frequently...
    I often find I can get the feel of a line in matter of minutes, but the detail and fills often take longer.. esp in this case

re: Lighter touch, yeah I'm there - i can hear it from the record... just needs lotsa practice :)

been working on the whole album in bits and bobs for a while now. the lines sounds so good and are great to play.. but are often very very simple - all the best are i guess.

thanks again

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Brad-
    Great post.

...I know you're one those guys who espouse the light touch- ;)
    I dunno, Nate Watts never impressed me as one of those guys; IMO, it really sounds like he's diggin' in. Is it "Do I Do" or "Contusion" or both where it really sounds like he's in overdrive?
    Anyway, great advice; if I ever get back to practicing with an amp, I'll heed your words.
    ;)

12. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    ...I use a real light touch to start with, then dig in later when things start to heat up a little...

;)

13. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    It's not Nathan Watts, it's Stevie with a synth.

14. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Are you sure?!

It REALLY sounds like leccy bass played with a super light touch..

I'm sure some of those fills just couldnt be achieved with a synth?

moley, while you're hear - what are the chords for "All I do" - - yes, I am being lazy :rolleyes:

btw- i LOVE the way the 1st song just cuts into all i do - for osme reason the abrupt change is just SO nice!

15. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Hmmmm - fight, fight - Moley and Brad in the playground now!!! :D

16. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    LOL! :D

...that brought it all flooding back!

17. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Yer basic chord progression for this song is:

Code:
    G#m  G#m/F#  Emaj7               E/F#     F#/B

All    I      do  is  think  a - bout  you

I've shown the words there so you can see the syncopated rhythm of the changes. Sometimes there's a D#7b9 D#7 on the end of that, and the verses have an A#m7b5 D#7 at the end of the sequence, and the D#7 at times is a D#7b9.

The bridge ("Baby just suppose...") I get as | G#m G#m/F# | Emaj7 F# | Bmaj7 | A#m7b5 D#7 | G#m G#m/F# | Emaj7 | A#m7b5 | D#7 |

Hopefully you can hack that together into something useful ;)

18. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Heh, there's no argument here, what Brad's saying is quite right, it's just that the liner notes and I, think it's Stevie, not Watts :D

19. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    because i said so that's why :D

naah, just that the accents sound very much like they're played on leccy, but i guess that's the synth doing it's tricks then. intersting.

20. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Yup that's a synth too.