Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stevie Wonder - Superstition

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by DaftCat, Jul 17, 2005.

1. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Hi,

I have to learn this tune. Is that a bass or is that Stevie doing lefty? I don't mean the clavinet stuff. :)

Thanks!

2. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    it's on an electric bass.
    If you want to learn it, don't forget to detune your E to Eb.

3. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Yep. I noticed that also. :)

Thanks,

4. :bassist: [​IMG] :bassist:

Stevie plays the bass

5. Cool Stevie pic

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    When I played this-
    ...I didn't de-tune & tried like Hell to cop the clavinet part.

7. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Thanks.

I detuned also but I think I'll work around that. :)
    Depending on the weather and my mood.

8. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I don't detune, and I let the clav play the clav part. The bass stays simple, in my opinion, and I like that.

9. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    How do you play the Eb then?

You play it an octave higher?

10. Bryan_G

Bryan_G

Apr 28, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    5 string?

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

AGREED!

I hate to make the comparison, but same goes for "Play that Funky Music" by Wild Cherry. I don't know how many bassists I've heard slap the guitar riff in a band setting. The bass just does a simple groove and it makes for the feeling of two basslines. I feel the same goes for the bass and clav with Superstition.

12. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I don't play my 5-string in the type of band that would play that music, so I just play it an octave higher. But, I say an octave higher not remembering the original recording. I would assume that that octave above the low-E(b) is the original recorded version.

13. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I'm with you. Sometimes basslines should be simple. A tune like "My Girl" calls for solid time and tone, not technical acrobatics on the bass. That's the way, uh huh uh huh, I like it.

14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Forgot to say-
    Copping the clav part because I played "Superstition" in a 4-piece band(NO KEYS!).

Come to think of it-
    Since Stevie wrote this tune for Jeff Beck, how did Beck-Bogart-Appice approach this without keys?
    (I forget).

15. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I agree...although it depende, too, on the band's instrumentation(see above post).

"Play That Funky Music" with 1 guitar-
    ...I prefer the guitar to play the 9th chords with the bass playing the 2nd guitar part + the simpler bass part during the vocals.
    2nd Guitar = l1_&_2_&_3_-a4ea_l
    Bass' part = l1_----&_3_-a4ea_l = Vocals/Verses

With 2 guitars-
    ...play the bass part as the recording. Doing more...it can get cluttered pretty quickly.

We used to play this tune in the New Country parody band I'm in...(Root-5 over the choruses. Yee-Haw!). Anyway, the leader requested that I slap my part. Truthfully, I felt like a white fool!

BTW, Wild Cherry's other 'hit', "I Feel Sanctified" is pretty cool to know(although it does sound a bit like "Play That Funky Music, Part II").

16. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    IIRC, no, the part you're talking about (I don't mean the clavinet part) is not a bass, it's a synth.

17. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Richard-
    They had synths in '72?
    ...I thought the tune's credits had Wonder down as "bass".
    Maybe not.

18. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    They absolutely had synths then. The synths were primitive and monophonic, but they existed. Stevie was one of the first major adopters. It says right in the credits for the album "Talking Book" that he used the Arp and Moog synthesizers. And no bassist was credited for the track, unlike "You Are the Sunshine of MY Life," which did have a bassist (Scott Edwards). Listen to it again, you'll hear it's a synth.

19. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...yes, I remember now-
    The synths were as big as a house.
    ;)

I'll check out Stevie's version & credits + the BBA version whenI get home.

20. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Hnh. I guess I haven't been listening well. I always remember that as an electric bass, not synth.