Stevie Wonder trauma...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by secretdonkey, Jan 27, 2003.

1. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    For some strange and unexplained reason one of my guitarists proposed that we cover "I Wish." So, I plug it in at home - part is simple but pretty physically demanding to keep up through the whole song (okay, I'm an outta shape wimp), so I played through it a few times as a workout.

Anyway, as I'm gritting my teeth and feeling the burn, my wife filled in something I had forgotten about by chiming in on the chorus: "We're goin' straight - to - the Wild Wild West"

Ahhh... Will Smith. Love him. Hate him. Sigh.
  2. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Yup - and that's not the only Stevie Wonder rip-off in recent years. Coolio's Gansta's Paradise was taken from Stevie's Pasttime Paradise, for example.
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

You could always simplify the part after the first few times through - it's only a couple of chords - and tell them you're improvising - to add interest!! ;)
  4. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Well I wish on the I Wish, hehee... with neither horns nor keyboards in the band, it falls on me to drive this song - making it all the more important that the part be rock-solid. I figure that 'that which does not give me tendonitis makes me stronger' :)
  5. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Good luck on the ad libs towards the end. Nathan Watts is a sick, sick man!
  6. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Wasn't there an episode of South Park where Cartman was playing a game called "Wild Wild West", complete with a tongue in cheek version of the Will Smith rip-off...... funny stuff!

Even Funnier, their send-up of "Believe" by Cher.....
    I'm giggling just thinking about it!
  7. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Here's what you do-
    Play the line UP an octave with an EBS OctaBass pedal(or Boss Octaver).

8. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    No joke! Any ad libbing I'll do will be relatively conservative, at least until I get really comfortable with the song - I don't have the right tone to try to emulate what he's doing, anyway. :)