Stevie Wonder

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Vorago, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    So, I've recently "discovered" Stevie Wonder (I know, shame on me), and I was wondering what to check out? I love "Supersticious", so what else are "must have" songs/records?

2. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Innervisions and Songs In The Key Of Life. Oh yes, oh yes...
  3. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    Couldn't agree more :bassist:
  4. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Song Review is also a nice collection of greatest hits if you are just getting your feet wet.
  5. I have Stevie's Original Musiquarium, Great double CD with all his hits. After you hear Higher Ground you'll be saying "Flee who?" ;)

Stevie Wonder has a few Best of CD's out there, all good.

Most of these hits came from Fulfillingness First Finale, Innervisions, and Songs in the Key of Life
    All great if you also want to hear more than just the Hits.
  6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    At the close of a century is a fantastic box set, 4-discs, spanning his whole career, lots of great songs both popular and more obscure.

Aside from that I personally really like Talking Book, Innervisions, Songs in the Key of Life and Fullfillingness First Finale.

On a related subject, I was listening to Stevie in the car the other day and "Lately" came on. I have heard this song a dozen times before, but this time I was really listening to the lyrics... :( very sad song, made me want to cry. I love Stevie, he's the best.
  7. Another great tune to check out with Nathan Watts on bass is Do I DO. Some of that same unison bass, horn line work, killer licks and with a killer groove.

If you can listen to that song and sit still you should check your pulse. You're probably dead. :)
  8. spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    +1 for fullfillingness first finale, also Talking Book...
  9. frankosaurus

Feb 27, 2002
    San Jose
    All Stevie's 70s albums are good. If I had to pick two, I'd say:

Talking Book

Songs in the Key of Life is great, but I mark it down a couple notches because it introduced 2 album cliches that severely subtract from repeat-play value: One is the sampled crying baby in "Isn't She Lovely". The other is the schoolkids answering questions in "Black Man". (copied by Lauryn Hill and countless others).

"I Wish" rocks of course.
  10. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Shame on you... shame on them... ;)

(Hopefully you noticed his new tune in your topicstart text by accident??)
  11. JimK

Dec 12, 1999 'bout "Contusion"?
  12. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Yehaw! Killer song. I was flipping through my buddies DirecTV setup and landed on Joe Zawinul playing it at some jazz festival. Awesome!
  13. I love sir duke and i wish, but my favorite, and first one i learned was Master Blaster(jamming). I just love the verse line, and the bridge where he(Nathan Watts) follows the horn section. I also really like the new song, WHat's the fuss.
  14. As much as Stevie played with some great bass players, his left hand is one of the phattest groovers ever in our section of the staff. Listen to Boogie on Reggae woman, contusion, oh hell save yourself some trouble and just get his entire catalog, the musicality of most of his songs will just blow your mind.
  15. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    He also played bass.. Drums... Keys.. Chrom. harp...

Well he played the whole damn rhythm section!!!!!!

For Once in My Life is a great jam song too.
  16. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    A couple of my favourite Stevie tracks are 'All I Do' and 'Part-Time Lover'.

Judging by 'Contusion', Stevie must have been a big Return to Forever fan! :bassist:
  17. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I would recomend this over anything else as every "Greatest Hits/Best Of" I've seen is always missing "Isn't She Lovely". And the one I did find that had it was missing tons of his other stuff.

I've burned my own Stevie "Greatest Hits", but was looking at this box set the other day and liked it.