Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stevie Wonder

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Jacoproud, Jan 29, 2002.

1. Does anyone know who the bass player is on Stevie Wonder's 'Songs in the Key of Life' album??

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Nathan Watts.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

....also, Stevie's gifted left hand.

4. that guy really knows how to groove.:D

5. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    On that tangent, (does that make sense?), can anybody share some other albums that feature some of Nathan Watts' best work?

6. Kind of a hard call JB, he tended to play on disks that had a couple of diferent bass players.

I.E.
    The Jacksons
    The Pointer Sisters
    The Temptations
    The Spinners
    Diana Ross

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

That album is one of my (and lots of people's) favorite "groove" albums of all time. I have an MD compilation of the dancier tracks from this and it always gets people dancing at parties!

At the Jazz Summerschool I have attended for the last few years, the end of week's highlight has been the Jazz pros getting together and doing "I Wish" "Sir Duke " etc. at the evening "Jazz club". It always brings the house down!

I just wish Stevie had done more like this - can't understand why not! :(

8. How about Stevie's musicuarium. All the groove tunes are on it.

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    VH1 did a "Behind the Music" (I think) about that album and got all of the original players together. They still sound great but the main attraction is still Stevie, on keyboards, mixing, playing drums... he's special. It was cool to have him explain how he and his engineer layered sounds.

10. Stevie played drums? wow he sure is a talented guy. Plus he has a left hand better than most bassists i know!!

11. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Stevie played everything on some of his songs, keys, bass, drums, etc.. I can't recall if he's ever played guitar on any of his recordings.

His left hand is a monster. I've always dug how well he can play bass lines like an actual bass player; as opposed to most keyboardists who have no clue at all. For a truely bad-ass Stevie keyboard bassline, dig on "Boogie on Reggae Woman".

Songs in the Key of Life was one of the albums I grew up listening to. It's completely and utterly brilliant. One of my bands plays "Sir Duke" into "I Wish" just like it appears on the album, which is always fun to play. Other personal favs from that album are "Ebony Eyes", "As", "All Day Sucker", and "Ordinary Pain".

12. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Stevie was taught by Motown's Benny Benjamin in his formative years.