Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stew mac, LMI or ?? truss rods

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tjclem, Mar 22, 2005.

1. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I need to place an order I have always usethe Stew mac ones but would like to hear other opinions. I guess the LMI ones use easier to obtain router bits and don't need quite as deep a channel. What do you guys think? .tom

2. I used the stewmac 1/8" nut hot rod before. I like the lmii better now. that's just because of the same reasons you detailed, plus on 1 instance I had the stewmac nut snap off on me, causing an unadjustable neck. The lmii seems much more solidly built.

3. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    I prefer the lmi ones better cuz they're a bit smaller and i find them a bit easier to install. Plus they're a bit cheaper (the single acting ones at least)

4. I'm going to start using LMI. I believe Pete Skjold has them and he's local.

I'm looking at them for the reason you guys mentioned. The Stewmac rods are great but they require a 7/16" channel.

5. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    I guess I'll try the LMI I might order some hipshots from them too. That is the best price I have seen on them. Gard suggested if I was to bring in another bass into bass central for sale to put hipshots on it..........T

6. Mark Chandler

Mark Chandler

Aug 25, 2004
    Houston TX
    Guitar parts USA has a rod that is 3/8" deep. I have not used it though.

7. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    The double action LMI rods are my favorite. 1/4" wide slot by about 3/8" deep. They're heavy duty and have worked well for me so far. I've used Stewmac's hot rods in the past but wasn't down for the extra depth. They have a lot more play in them than the LMI's double action rods as well.

8. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Great what else do you guys like to order from LMI?

9. gyancey

gyancey

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I use their white instrument makers glue, which is something else you can order.

10. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    gyancey

Good to hear from you. Your father talks well of your basses. :D I work in holly hill fl. Small world isn't it? I have shown him some of my basses that is how I heard of you. I have been using titebond 1 how does this glue differ? What do you like better about it? any other supplies that I am better off getting there?........Tom

11. original titebond is almost the standard in solid body building and it is very cheap and very strong, yet easy to clean up, why reinvent the wheel when there's nothing wrong with this one?

12. Mark Chandler

Mark Chandler

Aug 25, 2004
    Houston TX
    do you have a bass at the bass emporium in austin currently? i was at sxsw and stopped by and i played a what i believe was a hollow body with a walnut back? fuzzy weekend. it was very loud unplugged and I was very impressed. I played that one longer than any other one in the shop. too bad i dont have the dough.

13. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    LMIs glue is harder and lines will show less in hard/gloss finishes... especially water bases finishes like the KTM9 stuff LMI has been pushing lately.

14. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    I have had ornery LMI rods in the past. Maybe they've improved them but I snapped a nut off on one that just would not turn. A few of them were tight when I got them and this one just basically got unworkable inside a neck.

I'm guessing they've probably worked on them some and they are better now. I may even give them another shot. I have been using the Hot Rods since then and have never had a problem with them.

I recommend oiling the LMI rods before installation and ensuring that they turn freely before using them.

15. JTGale

JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    Sorry to kinda derail, but has anybody used the KTM9 stuff? I have a fretless jazz bass I am trying different stuff on and was considering giving TruOil a shot. But, after reading about the KTM9 stuff, I am having second thoughts. Is it all hype? Is it worth it? Bueller? Anyone? :D

16. I just ordered some KTM-9 and the System-3 epoxy LMI has. I'm planning on trying it on a current build when I get to finishing stage. I'll let everyone know how it works out.

17. gyancey

gyancey

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Tom: My dad is a great guy! I miss FL sometimes. Now on to glue: I used to use Titebond I but I find the LMI glue dries faster and harder. It also seems to have more initial tack which is great for positioning some parts. Everything positive they say about the glue on the website is true. Also I've had problems like Matt with the LMI rods before but this was a couple of years ago also. I'm using the Martin-style aluminum U-rods from Stew-Mac.

Mark: That is indeed a bass I made. I'm glad you liked it! I think it came out pretty well and hope somebody falls in love with it.

-Greg

18. Mark Chandler

Mark Chandler

Aug 25, 2004
    Houston TX
    i did, but my wallet didn't.

Sdo you have it on consignment there? If I can ever get mine to that level, I would eventually like to sell some. Already sold a neck to a friend and he thinks its great, hes got a band in San Marcos. Might as well do something productive while I am looking for a job.

19. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    I have heard that the KTM9 is overhyped but I have never tried it myself. The acoustic dudes I know have basically given up on water-based finishes for the time being.

20. A suggestion for something to do to trussrods before installation to help insure smooth working actions is to re-tap the adjustment nut and re-thread the rod itself with a die to make sure the threads are straight, complete, and clean. When an engine gets rebuilt, the mechanic will do this with every hole and stud after it comes back from the hot tank and machinist. It that case it's imperative for cleanliness AND proper torquing of the fasteners. For us it's just the fastener tension.