Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Steward power amp problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassGreaser, Jan 8, 2003.

1. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I am running my Steward PA-1000 pwoer amp bridged to two EA CxL-110s, and it's over heating which causes it to shut down. Do all Steward power amps have this problem? I'm thinking about getting a bigger Steward amp.

2. I remember reading a post on this forum a few weeks ago stating that those EA speakers were more like 4ohms instead of 8. If that be the case, then that would explain the overheating.

3. TheCreature

TheCreature

May 22, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    I've had problems w/ my Stewart World 1.2 overheating when bridged into 4 ohms. The speaker brand didn't matter - it shuts off and you have to wait til it cools off. I now carry a clip on fan and the rack stays cool.

The recommendation from the factory is to keep an empty rack space around the amp because it's convection cooled. Kind of defeats the purpose of a one space amp, doesn't it?

4. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I do have one rack space open. do you think getting a Steward 1.6 amp would be better, and not over heat so much?

5. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I have a PA-1000 and it has never shut down on me. I usually run it into an 8 ohm load bridged. If you decide to replace the PA-1000, please contact me. I have 2 friends who want a PA-1000.

moses@compuvision.net

Chuck

6. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Yes, check the ohms. You cannot bridge to 2 ohms. My PA-1000 shut down on me once, on a very hot day. Never since, and I have abused this thing.

7. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com

The problem is that EA wasn't very accurate on the ohm-age load.

8. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    The Stewart 1.6 and 2.1 power amps are both 2 space units with a cooling fan, so they should have far less trouble with heat than the smaller power amps without a fan.

9. ivanthetrble

ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    Orygun
    The StewarT 1.2 does have a problem with thermal overload when driven hard but the 1.6 and 2.1 both have internal fans so shouldn't suffer this problem. I have been using a World 2.1 for the past year with several different speaker configurations and have never had any heat (or any other problems for that matter) related problems.

ITT

10. Well it's obvious that the 1.2 isn't going to work with your present setup. I use to use a single space EV Dynacord power amp that was convection cooled like the Stewart. I could only bridge it into 8 ohms and it got pretty hot at that. I got a $12.00 computer fan from Radio shack and mounted it on the inside of a 4 space SKB rack. All it really did was circulate the air, it did'nt even draw in fresh air, but, you know the d@mn thing cooled down dramatically. This may be all you need to do.....:D

11. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Care to expound?

12. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    ...well, when I had my Stewart PA-1000 mounted in the extra rack space of my Redhead, I did put a little fan on it, just in case...

13. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com

They fudged a little on the ohm-age. Next time your in a music store that carries them take your handy ohm-age meter and check them ;)

Example; a cab is 3 ohms and they say its 4, your amp will over heat and you could actually ruin it.

Another example is that Epifani was up front on the 310 being 5... ohms. I get so many questions about that, but look at it as a 4 ohm load and not an 8. They tried to be honest and confused people, when really if they would have said 4 ohm stable no one would have thought about it.

Well someone else has a 3.5 or whatever and desides to call it a 4 ohm and they screw peoples equipment up.

14. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I owned a Stewart PA1000 and never had any problems but I never ran it bridged. I currently have a Stewart World 1.6 and love it. As previously stated, it does have a cooling fan and I would suspect it would work better in a bridge mode requiring a great deal of power. If you decide to get a World 1.6 or 2.1 check with enjoysound.com
    They have great prices and are great to work with.