Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stewart 1.2 and up vs. Crest power amps!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Yamarc, Mar 15, 2003.

1. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I currently run a U5 through a Crest LT1000 (1300 watts into 4 ohms, 30 lbs) but am considering the 1.6 (Stewart, 16 lbs.) Does anyone have any experience comparing both of these amps? The thing I love about my Crest is that it goes SO DEEP! Will the 1.6 be able to handle the lows that the U5 puts out- like the Crest? Or will I be sacrificing depth for less weight? Thanks

2. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Arlington,Tx
    Stick with the Crest. I have a 1.6 but only as a backup to my QSC PL224. The Stewart is a decent amp but I've been able to push much harder with other amps (this includes a 1700 watt Crest 7100 Professional Series) whereas my Stewart sometimes farts out if try to really push it. If you are looking for a lighter weight amp then I hands down recommend a QSC PLX series or a QSC Powerlight 2 series over the Stewart.

3. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    and now for another opinion........

I've tried various power amps through the years and the Stewart power amps sound better to me than any others I've tried. Stewart amps are very responsive. They do not have a compressed sound like many other amps.

I own a World 1.6 and a PA-1000. They sound great.

Chuck

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I agree with Chuck. I'd take a Stewart over a QSC any day. The QSC can be hard to drive to full output depending on what preamp you're using. I have the Stewart 1.6 and the QSC 1602 and greatly prefer the Stewart. And it's lighter.

5. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I currently own a Stewart 1.6 and formerly owned a Crest amp (not the model you have). And I defenitely prefer the Stewart over the Crest. I also owned a PA 1000 and it also was a great amp (Chuck is the lucky owner of that now; Hi Chuck). If I heard distortion out of my rig, the last place that I'd look would be my Stewart. They don't get any cleaner!
    One more plus for the Stewart, they only weigh 16-17 LBs (World 1.6-2.1)! :)

6. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    Just my personal experience, but I'd stick with the Crest. I've tried a lot of power amps and have found that the LT1500 I'm using now is the best for me. It seems like a bottomless pit of power, especially on the low end. A real wrecking ball.
    Yeah, the Crest is a little heavier but you don't need to worry about any "mods" or if your pre will drive it properly. You should also have enough power to seriously violate people in the first few rows of just about any venue.
    It's kind of like any other amp. You have to pick what sounds best and works best for you.
    Good luck!

7. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Hey Chuck, what is a "compressed sound" in a power amp?

8. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I'm not a power amp expert but I recently went with a pre-amp - power amp set-up and it kills. I can't believe how much better it sounds. I currently own a Crest LT 1500 with a Kern-777 pre-amp. It is the best set-up that I have ever owned.
    I'm sure any of the power amps you mentioned with a good pre-amp will sound better than a bass head.
    Good luck.

9. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    My World 2.1 has better transient response to my ears than my Crest V1500. It's also much lighter and a rackspace smaller. The Stewart is very transparent IMO. I still have my Crest, but use it for our P.A. only. I am curious about a PL or PLX though...

10. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
  11. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Bob,

Some power amps seem to not deliver the dynamic range that the Stewart power amps are capable of. I noticed a big improvement in dynamic responsiveness when I went to my Stewart PA-1000. I had previously used power amps with ratings of up to 1400 watts so I don't think it was simply a matter of headroom.

I have an internet buddy who uses one of the power amps that sounded compressed to me. He loves it. So, like we said back in the early '70's, "Opinions are like Ford Mustangs. Everybody has one".

Just for the record, my personal experience has been with Crown, Carver, Hafler, Stewart, Mackie, Crest, QSC and Peavey power amps. Most of them sounded mighty fine.

Chuck

12. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Aside from maximum power, the biggest contributing factor to an amp's dynamic range is its noise floor (assuming it doesn't do any dynamics processing, which most don't do except for clip limiting). Take two amps rated at identical max power. One's got a noise floor 6 dB lower than the other; it's got about that much more dynamic range, although differences in noise foor are rarely discernible in most live music situations.

An amp which is louder will tend to sound more dynamic and responsive than one that's softer, even if they're the same model. That's largely because human hearing responds different spectrally to sounds of different intensities. That's the basis for the "loudness" filters on some stereos; they boost the highs and lows to make music sound better at low listening levels.

So the "compressed" sound quality you mentioned is probably just a sign that the amp would sound better to you if you turned it up.