Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stewart 1.2 or 2.1

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RAM, Mar 24, 2004.

1. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'm gettin' a new rig:D

What I'm getting is an Epifani Ultralite 4x10 (4 ohms), Read Purity, and a Stewart power amp.

My question is this: is a Stewart 1.2 enough power or do I need the 2.1?

Thanks much!

2. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Man, that sounds like it'll be a killer rig! I would personally suggest that you find a used 2.1 somewhere. I'm sure that the 1.2 would be fine but I'll bet that you'd be able to find a used 2.1 for about the price of a new 1.2. I'm sure that you'd appreciate the extra power as well.

3. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I use a Stew 2.1, SWR IOD, and Epi 3x10 as one of the reference rigs at BHB. If I remember when I was pricing them out, there isn't a significant difference in the price between the 1.2 and the 2.1. I LOVE the headroom that I have with the 2.1 and enjoy the fact that I NEVER have to worry about pushing an amp beyond its limits or fightint to be heard over guitars and drums. I'd highly recommend the 2.1 if you can swing it. ;) The bottom line is that you're gonna' end up with a great rig. :D

4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I think I'm hearing a theme here...

I sent Jack an e-mail telling him I'm going with the 2.1 instead. I think the price he quoted me is under $200 difference. I figure the kinda bucks I'm spending on this rig, $200 is a drop in the pan.

I'm so psyched!!! Too bad it'll take about a month or so to be fully hooked up.:(

5. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    It'll be worth the wait my friend!

6. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    A MONTH! A ya' godda do is plug the cord in, right? :D

Seriously, if you've never had high-powered rig like that before, you'll wonder how you ever got by without it. ALSO, your "kick-butt to weight" ratio is going to be killer. You'll be able to toss that 4X10 around like a pillow, and your 2100 watts of Stewart power will come in well under 20 lbs.

7. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    My eyes, fingers, toes, and everything else are crossed in anticipation!:eek:

My old rig, which is great in its own right, is on the way out the door as soon as this weekend. I won't need a rig for a month, but without hearing my bass that long??? Aye...for cripe's sake!!!

8. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    :D

As an aside, if I may hijack my own thread for a moment, do you have a shop or are you strictly internet based? Being in Chicago, if you've got time, I wouldn't mind stopping by...although, I'm spending my last dime right now, if that ain't a problem for ya'...

9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The 1.2 was tempting for me because it's only one rack space, but I never get any PA assist so I figured I'd go for the 2.1. I love it.

Hey RAM, one neat thing about the 2.1 is that it's dual monaural, with two power supplies. For many gigs I use just one side of the amp and leave the other powered off... it's like having a spare amp available!

10. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yep, I went with the 2.1 too. Killer amp. I use it in bridge mode to power a pair of subs for outdoor gigs, and use one side or both (as needed) to power BagEnd extension stacks. It's been a super-reliable amp so far, I'm very pleased with it.

11. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    But what do you do about the god-awful noisy fan in the 2.1?

JD

12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I actually have two 2.1's, both pre-owned. The first one I bought has an extremely quiet fan. The fan in the second one makes a mild 'tika-tika' noise which I never noticed until recently. If I put pressure on the fan box it stops, so maybe the fan was misaligned in shipping. Even so, the 'tika tika' isn't noticeable at gigs. It would be at home rehearsal, but I don't use a 2100 watt amp for home rehearsal. :p

FWIW I got the 2nd 2.1 as a favor to my #1 band... my intent was to donate it to the PA system to replace some big ol' heavy lead sleds, but my bandmates don't believe that one amp could do the work of two so they declined my offer. So, I built a second bass rack for myself. :bassist:

13. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Why not the Stewart 1.6? It has a fan & at 1150 Watts RMS @8 ohms (bridged) it's more than I ever needed. It runs a little more than $100 less than the 2.1
    As a side note, I think if I get another pre/power amp rig I'm going to have to give the QSC PLX amps a try. I had a couple of gigs in Dec this year where the were momentary power outages (just a couple of seconds) and the Stewart when through the long 20-35 second power up routine. That's a long time in the middle of a song! No way to avoid this with out using a UPS (and that would defeat the purpose of the light weight power amp).

14. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Rob - As sweet as that rig sounds, I don't see why you need more than the 1.2. Jezzuz peezus, that is a wonderful power source!!!

I know it's all about "headroom", but it just gets crazy. If you're playing out and you need crazy wattage, why not go through the mains and save some bucks for other G.A.S.???......unless money is no object.

That Read preamp ought to put you in ecstasy, anyway! I want to try one so badly and dump my Aguilar, possibly.

15. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Oh...at this point I'm purposely on overkill. I've got so little room left to fulfill GAS needs that I figgered why not dump it all into one...;)

Before I started thinking about replacing the ol' EBS rig (what a great rig it is), I was utterly close to picking up a 5-string Joe Osborne with a Bartolini preamp...But, if I have a 3rd bass at home, my wife will walk out with her 7-month pregnant belly. At least with a new amp, it's not quite as obvious...

16. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Again, you won't notice the fan until you stop playing and it's quiet. But, I still was't happy with a fan at all for recording, even with my less quiet Crest poweramp. Jack Read suggested having the fan hooked up to a switch so you could turn it off if you so pleased. I'm going to have him do exactly that with my amp. You'd have to monitor the heat of the amp but it would work just fine.