Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stewart 1.2 or Peavey DPC 1400X?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GreyBeard, Mar 27, 2004.

1. Stewart 1.2

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  2. Peavey DPC 1400X

12 vote(s)
    80.0%
  3. Something else (explain)

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  1. Here's my decision. I've put together a really great sounding little rig. F1-X into either a Stew 1.2 or PV 1400X into Bergi Ht112/EX112. I really can't decide which power amp to get. The rack I'm using has a computer fan mounted in the back that should help keep a little Stew cool enough at 4 ohms but, the PV has a built in fan. Is the cooling fan the only real difference between these two fine amps. The cost is almost 2 to 1 with the PV being over 1000 (new) and the Stew at about $550. Which one would you get? The Dynacord in the pic won't bridge into 4ohms and is only 250 watts into 8 ohms bridged. It works fine with one Bergi but just won't cut it with 2.

2. jusplayinmybass

jusplayinmybass

Apr 17, 2003
    Conyers, Ga
    Keith McMillan Instruments, SIT Strings, Accugroove Cabinets
    I like the PV. But if you can get the Stew for $550, I say you'd be stupid not to. Especially if you have a fan in your rack already. B Easy

Myron

3. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I have the stew 1.2 and have bridged it in my practice PA without problem. Ive even used it to power two berg 322s @ 350 watts a side @ 4ohms without over heating. I havent done this alot so I dont know about long term use. Im sure the PV is a good amp but the stew being almost half the cost of the PV, Id go the stewart, but you will want to bridge it with two berg 112s.

4. I've had the DPC 1400X for around a year now. I've gigged countless times with it bridged at 4 ohms into an Acme Low B-4. I've played in full sun in 90 degree weather, full volume with no PA support, indoors, out-doors, etc... I have yet to have a single problem with the amp.

The World 1.2 was a prospective purchase for me before I bought the DPC but the lack of a fan worried me a bit too much. Both amps are great so I don't think there's a "wrong" choice here. If you plan on pushing the amp I would say go for the DPC. If you'll be playing it safe most of the time go with the Stewart.

Just my $0.02

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i dig both of 'em. but am a bit more partial to the stewart.

i do alot of quieter gigs, and sometimes, have recorded with my rig, too. in which cases, the Stewart is MUCH better cause of the lack of fan. and with most of the 45 min. sets i've done w/ my Epifani 3x10UL, havent run into a problem yet. (knock on wood...)

if you know you're doing bigger gigs that are longer in time, and dont mind the fan, then go with the peeve.

6. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    How much is a Chevin?

7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I've owned both, and still have the Peavey.
    Like joker says, if you're doing smaller / quieter gigs then the Peavey fan can be annoying (it varies in speed/noise depending on how much is being pumped through it). But on a regular club gig, you don't notice it once everyone else is playing.

I kept the Peavey over the Stewart because of the Peavey's much higher headroom and the Peavey's fan. While I never had any problem with the lack of fan on a Stewart, it always made me slightly nervous. But hey, that's my problem and not Stewarts. It was a great amp, and never gave me any troubles.

8. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I have been using a Stewart 1.2, bridged, into a pair of 1x12s, either Bergantino or Epifani, for several years now. The lack of a fan was important to me for folk gigs I was doing. I have an open rack space above it and have never had any problems. And it sounds very nice, a bit sweeter than the QSC PLX1602 it replaced.