Stewart 1.2 or QSC RMX 850

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GreyBeard, Oct 23, 2002.

1. I've been looking for a different power amp for my new cab ( SWR TRIAD ) it's a 4 ohm cab and I need an amp that will bridge into 4 ohms. At first the Stewart 1.2 looked like the answer. It is rated at like 1200 watts into 4 ohms bridged. However, others have experienced problems with thermal shut down at 4 ohms. Some have suggested leaving the upper rack space open and adding a fan. So now you have a 2 rack space amp and not a 1. The Stewart still only weighs 11 lbs but it cost around $600 bucks. (Sorry BH I'm not convinced you can deliver) The QSC is 2 rack spaces, has a fan and is only around $300 ( QSC is only rated ate 830 watts at 4 ohms continous, but, I think that is just a more realistic rating. I don't see how the Stewart could be rated at 500 watts per channel into 2 ohms and 1200 into 4ohms bridged????.) The only downfall to the QSC is weight 35lbs!!!!!. Which one would you buy.:confused:
  2. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    personally i'd go for the qsc.....
  3. chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Stewart 1.2 vs. RMX 850 is kind of like apples vs. oranges. The RMX is an entry level conventional amp; the Stewart is a lightweight, compact amp with a switching power supply. The PLX 1202 is a closer match to the Stewart 1.2.

The Carvin DCM series is comparable to the RMX series. The DCM 1000 is a good value, true enough, but the RMX 850 can be had cheaper and has a better warranty. The Carvin DCM series also has a reputation for being unstable when bridged into with some 4 ohm cabs (Acmes in particular). About the only thing in the Carvin's favor is that it's made in the USA.

I use a QSC RMX 1850HD myself. Yes, it weighs 45 lbs (20 kg). But it definitely delivers the power - one channel will drive both my Low B-2s all night without a glitch, and yes, I've actually done this! And the price was right: $455 shipped from Lord Valve.

I will eventually replace the RMX with a PLX2402, but that's in the future.
  4. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Look at the QSC PLX 1202. Not as light as the Stewart but much lighter than the RMX