Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stewart 1.2 speaker cable question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Inseam, Jul 7, 2004.

1. Inseam

Inseam

Jun 17, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I've got a Stewart World 1.2 power amp coming which I will use bridged mono into a single Acme B-2. Two questions about speaker cable to run from amp to cab (this is my first power amp & cab setup):

1) Any minimum wire gauge I should stick to? I figure 14 gauge is good enough, but would 12 gauge make a difference? Or is even 16 gauge OK?

2) Any brand recommendations? I'm willing to pay the $30-40 for a Planet Waves or Monster cable if I actually get some benefit over a basic cable.

2. Home Depot has 12 gauge speaker cable and banana plugs. Makes an excellant speaker cable for less than $15.

3. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    I use these guys:

Procables N Sound

Great cable, great service, great prices. They support talkbass and have a discount for talkbass people. I just ordered a 12 gauge 6 foot mono bridged speakon to gold banana plugs last week for $28.

Tim99.

4. Inseam

Inseam

Jun 17, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Tim99, you ordered what I need, but let me ask you a related question. Why do you need to specify a bridged mono speakon when you've got a banana plug at the other end? Can't you just flip over the banana plug to make the appropriate side plug into each channel of the amp?

5. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Stop. Your amp is different from mine. I have "speakon out 1", "speakon out 2" and "speakon out mono bridged". I need a special speakon for my mono bridged.

http://www.stewartaudio.com/world12.html

http://www.stewartaudio.com/images/world12Back.gif

It appears that your amp has 4 banana posts out, two for left power amp 2, and two for right power amp 1, but it looks like you can mono bridge with a banana from the two inner posts. You need to talk to someone who knows more than me about this amp.

Tim99.

6. Inseam

Inseam

Jun 17, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Yup, I know for sure that you bridge the Stewart amp by using a banana plug on the middle two posts (the positives for both channels). So, as long as I know which side of the banana plug is wired to the positive tip of the Speakon at the cab end, then it seems there's no need to buy a special cable. I just make sure that that side of the banana plugs into the channel 1 positive post.

Anyone disagree?