Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stewart 1.6/2.1 output Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JRB, Mar 4, 2005.

1. JRB

JRB Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    Hi everyone,

I am currently selling my rig (mesa m-2000) and am planning on getting a stewart world tour 1.6/2.1 with some preamp (yet to be decided). But I did not really understand the outputs on the stewart, can someone please explain it to me I will for ever be in your shadow because your brain is way greater then my brain. My main question is what is with the +/- banana plugs and how does that connect to my 1/4 imput on my cab. Is there some advantage to this? Also I have two aguilar 112's, would I always run them to seperate channels or is there away to put two cabs into the power amp in mono mode (not that I would want to but I just want to understand). Thank you all very much, if anyone has other advice as for preamps our other power amps to look at it is also welcome.

Jonathan

2. Hi Jonathan.
    I recently got a Stewart World 1.6, so I'll try to answer your questions. I'm using it with a Sansamp RBI and it sounds awesome.
    Banana plugs are real easy to use with this amp if you want to run bridged mono, as I'm doing. Get a banana plug ---> 1/4" cable at a pro audio store, or you can buy a 1/4" ---> 1/4" cable and pop a banana plug adapter on one end. The adapters are available at Guitar Center. To run bridged with two cabinets, you'd plug the banana end into both red terminals on the amp, and the 1/4" end into one cabinet, then run a second cable from the first cabinet to the second one. I ran an SWR SM-900 bridged mono with two cabinets this way (Speakon instead of banana plug, but the speaker-to-speaker connection was the same.)
    You can, of course, run one cabinet off each channel of the amp in stereo. The Stewart owner's manual can explain that better than I can.. http://www.stewartaudio.com/pdf/manuals/World 1.6 2.pdf
    Good luck!

3. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    I own a World 1.6 that drives a couple of 8 ohm Acme Low B2's in bridged mode... I found it pretty easy to make a couple of banana/Speakon cables.

If you're unsure of your ability to make your own cables, there are sources to purchase the ready-made cables from... Markertek comes to mind. Or you could always ask around... there's always someone who's a "friend of a friend of a friend"... the kind of person who's better at certain things than we are! :smug:

4. Quick question to you Stewart amp owners: How reliable have they been? I'm really interested in the 1.6 or the 2.1. Thanks.

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    overall the feeling is pretty good, there has been a tendency for some of them to have one channel fail. stewart seems to fix these sometimes even after the warranty is up, but they can be a bit slow. still i love my 2.1. :cool:

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i have a World 1.2 and mine's been tip top since the first day i got it 3 yrs. ago. (knock on wood) havent needed to send it back for no reasons.

but hey guys, how much heavier is the 2.1 over the 1.6?

7. One pound, according to Stewart's Web site.. 17 pounds for the 2.1, and 16 for the 1.6.

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    oh, dave, dave, dave...

but lookin' for a real world comparion. anyone know for sure, cause spec sheets only say so much... ;)

9. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    Well, I can verify that my World 1.6 weighs in at 16.2 lbs...

...at least according to the scale I used. :eyebrow:

10. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    close enough that you'd be hard pressed to know which one you were picking up unless you did it in rapid succession.

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    and i thank you for your insightful candor... :)

but, what about compared to the ol' QSC PLX series? geez, i'm talking like i might literally pick one up... :bag:

12. bassjam

bassjam

Aug 2, 2004
    dfw
    Lakland Basses,Genz Benz

ive got a 2.1 that i bought used almost 5 years ago that ive used pretty much full time.ive never had a problem with it.another quick note.i remember bass player did amp shootout and they were concerned about the small lightweight transformer and the posibility of alot of noise in places with neon lights and not so great power.ive used this amp in places that around here are notorious for power problems as well as on the road and my stewart has always preformed flawlessly and is dead quiet except the fan.now i hope i didnt jinks it.

13. The PLX series supposedly all weigh 21 pounds. Again, this is the Web site talkin'.. ;)

14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

A few years ago I got a Stewart 2.1. My back and my ears were so delighted that I now own two, one for each gig rig. Zero problems, 100% satisfaction.

15. K-Dog

K-Dog

Apr 10, 2004
    I've had a PA1200 for 10 yrs now(the early grey faced one) and I couldn't be happier.No problems. It don't get used anymore(old man) cuz I only play in one place now and my Mesa Buster combo does it for me now. Oh yeah, I would even sell it for the right offer.

16. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have a World 2.1 and a PLX 3002, and the Stewart is a little bit lighter. Both are in the "inconsequential" weight category, in my book, though. With regard to tone and volume, though, I recently had a chance to A/B them, and rather to my surprise, I strongly preferred the Stewart to the QSC (and the PLX 3002 has been my gigging amp for some time now). To my ears, the Stew had a more full, authoritative, punchy and tight low end and a more musical midrange than the QSC. The 2.1 also won the overall perceived volume contest.

Then, I tried out the Crest CA9.... ;)

17. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Interesting info on the Stew and the PLX. I've never a/b'd mine since they are setup with different preamps.

Now to further test these three...place each on the floor in front of you and heft up each one. Is the CA9 that much better than the other two? :)

18. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    That is an excellent question! And the answer is "Yes!" Of course, since having kids I am always looking for an chance to work out (having lost any exercise time I might have had BC - before children). :meh:

But certainly, if weight were an issue, it would be the World 2.1 all the way, baby!

19. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Yes, they're all almost 21 pounds. There is a difference of some ounces from the PLX 1202 up to the PLX 3402 because of the different numbers of components.

20. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    The second sentence explains the first one.

If you set the PLX (or any other amp) louder than the Stewart, it would sound fuller, punchier, tighter, etc., instead.