Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stewart 2.1 Configuration Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Yggdrasil, Aug 31, 2003.

1. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil

Aug 16, 2001
    Toronto/Buffalo
    I just bought a 2.1 used. No manual (& none on their website)

here is what I want to do:

preamp #1 : Alembic F1-X into channel 1

preamp #2 : SWR IOD into channel 2

Set to stereo mode.

1 speaker : EA CXL-112 :

My questions:

a) any problems seen with prospective preamp hookups?

b)can I hook the EA up to both ch. 1 & ch.2 speaker outs, by just hard-wiring each lead through both posts ?

What I want to do : be able to select my preamp by simply switching between ch. 1 & 2 on the 2.1, using it one channel at a time.

Thanks,

Frank.

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

FYI this issue doesn't just apply to Stewart amps.

I think the easiest solution would be to buy a second speaker cabinet and an A/B box. Run bass ---> A/B box ===> both preamps ===> both channels of amp ===> both speaker cabs. Then you'd flip between what are essentially two separate amp rigs.

If you can't purchase another speaker cab, it gets complicated. In that case you have to split your signal to the two preamps, then recombine the signals from those preamps (using a mixer, probably). Again, with just one speaker you'll either have to use just one channel of the Stew, or bridge it (and bridging will probably give you way way more watts than you need). You can't run two amps, or two non-bridged channels of one stereo amp, into a single speaker cab.

Hopefully others will comment. However I would suggest starting a new thread entitled "help with stereo operation" because (again) this issue applies to all power amps, so this thread title is misleading. Good luck!

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    The opening post is also misleading. As I read through it, I thought you were determined to blow something up. The part about switching between the two was a welcome relief :)

Fuzz is on the money. The mixer idea is a good one. It wouldn't even have to be anything fancy. Something small and inexpensive will be more than enough. Probably cheaper and easier on your back than running 2 seperate rigs.

4. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil

Aug 16, 2001
    Toronto/Buffalo
    No, my intention was to use the Stewart as what it is - 2 independant amps, each fed by a different pre; only one side of the amp powered up at a time (there are 2 power switches on the front panel - one for each channel);cable from instrument simply plugged & unplugged .

I had hoped to be able to wire up a single cab.

Thanks for the responses!