Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stewart 2.1 Problems/Questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lwleaver, Oct 6, 2004.

1. lwleaver

lwleaver Something cute and clever.

Apr 10, 2002
    Philadelphia, PA
    I was at practice last night and I noticed one of the channels (2) started to drop out, every now and then it would get, for lack of a better description, crackly like it was being clipped. I sent an e-mail to Stewart asking about repairs, etc.. I was wondering if there were any SA gurus here who may have run into that. Also, on the front are 3 indicators (lights) and I was wondering how they work. Is it a matter of how much sginal is entering the channel for amplification or how the signal is entering the cabinet, i.e some sort of level indicator based on how hard the cabinet is being pushed? It figures I have a gig tonight and am now pretty freaked out by the whole situation, and this thing acting up tonight. Any help woudl be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Landon

2. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    Minneapolis by way of Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    This sounds like a problem I had last year with my 2.1 Turned out to be a capacitor that had worked its way loose and needed to be resoldered. It was covered under warranty and the amp was out of commission for like two weeks. While you're at it though, might as well check the input and output contacts to make sure they are clean.

Lonnybass

3. lwleaver

Apr 10, 2002
    Philadelphia, PA
    Lonny,
    Thanks for the info. Unfortuntely, I bought this used and have no clue about the warranty anymore. I do not think it is still covered. But, I will call and ask. I guess I need to find a replacement while it goes in.

4. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    When I first got my 2.1 I noticed an odd buzz/rattle coming from inside. I opened it up and discovered that the capacitors were buzzing like bees at a particular resonant peak. I surrounded them with some high quality silicone (like Ampeg does for everything on their boards) and the rattle stopped. I do wonder, though, what would have happened if those suckers were left to jiggle ad infinitum.

WRT your amp---are you spending much time in the red? If not, I seriously doubt the problem pertains to your gain structure.

5. lwleaver

Apr 10, 2002
    Philadelphia, PA
    I will not have the time tonight to open it up and check so I am going to cross my fingers and switch the signal around. Right now I have the lows from my crossover going to the "sketchy" channel and the highs to channel 1. So, swap that and I will , hopefully, figure out if it is the amp or a loose connection on the input of the cabinet. The low cabinet is a carvin 1x18 encloseure with a Bag End speaker. We tightened up the input jack a bit and it seemed to "solve" the problem for about an hour. This may have been purely coincidental, but it something I can investigate during setup.
    Anyone familiar with the LED for each channel? I am curious on how they work.

Thanks,
    Landon

6. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    If the thing quits altogether, at least you can forego the crossover and run full range through the single side that's still working. Just watch the lows.

The leds are, I believe:

Green: -20db (or signal present)
    Yellow: -3 db
    Red: 0db (clip)

The rotary dial over the LEDs adjusts your input level.

7. lwleaver

Apr 10, 2002
    Philadelphia, PA
    That was an idea I was tossing around. I cannot remember the minimum load per channel, but I run an 8 ohm (18") and a 4 Ohm (2x10). Will the Stewart run that load safely?

8. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    I'm just going by memory here, but I seem to recall that the amp is rated to 2 ohms for either side going stereo. Bridged is 4--that I know. Maybe someone else who still has the manual can chime in here.

And if it is indeed 2 ohms when stereo, an 8 and a 4 will be fine.

9. lwleaver

Apr 10, 2002
    Philadelphia, PA
    Ah Yes.
    I just looked at the manual and they say 900 Watts per side @ 2 ohms or 1800 watts bridged at 4 ohm. Does anyone know the impedance of 8 and 4? I forget the equation.

10. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    2.66 ohms

11. lwleaver

Apr 10, 2002
    Philadelphia, PA
    Sweet. Worst case is if this thing takes a nose dive I can chain the cabinets on the side with enough power and just squeeking by on load. Thanks for your help guys.

12. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
  13. lwleaver

Apr 10, 2002
    Philadelphia, PA
    IvanMike,
    Damn your having exactly the same problem. The freaky channel was intermittent. At least i can breathe a little easier knowing this will probably come through for me tonight. Did you ever get yours repaired? Also, do you have the info that guy mentioned for Nuno's repair/amp person?

14. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    my dealer is actually sending it back to stewart as we speak as i still am under warranty (3 years, i've had mine for 2 now)

15. lwleaver

Apr 10, 2002
    Philadelphia, PA
    I just called Stewart and they see this pretty often. He said it could be the mono/bridge switch. But, I need to get the serial to see if it is under warranty. Time to save my duckets and get this baby fixed. Too bad I have gigs pretty much every weekend from here on out. Thanks for your help guys. One thing I also need is a new chassis for this guy. But, fully operational takes precendence.