Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stewart amp shutdown

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tim Cole, Sep 23, 2003.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I have one of the Stewart PA-1000 amps, one of the single space lightweight units. While I had read about the shutdown problems, I had never had a problem until this weekends gig. I run the amp bridged, on an 8 ohm load with my 410xlt. EQ set flat, gain set as reccomended, limited engaged with a slight bit of compression to even out the spikes on it, it died on me for about 30 seconds or so right in the middle of a song. The amp was not hot at all, I leave two spaces above, and one below open in my rack, and it was about 60 degrees out saturday night when it happend.

I was pushing the amp pretty hard to keep up (75%, cab was farting a little) due to being an outdoor gig. I did although figure with the touch of compression, limited engaged on the pre, and the light 8 ohm load, I would be okay.

Is there any way to prevent this? Sometimes you HAVE to push it a little more than you like in order to be heard. Also, the amp is 700w @ 8 ohms bridged.

2. Carl Brusky

Carl Brusky

Sep 21, 2000
    Yes, sell it and buy a QSC PLX series amp. I sold my Stewart 1.2 after it shut down on me once during a show.

If you can't trust it, dump it.

I was pushing mine a bit more. Bridged, mono into a 4 ohm load.

Best of luck

3. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Okay, let me rephrase....do you have any advice for the poor who cannot afford to upgrade at the moment? :D

4. Carl Brusky

Carl Brusky

Sep 21, 2000
    You know it might not be just the thermal shutdown issue. It could have been a power problem.

I am talking about your power source that you plugged everything into.

You might have to buy a Furman power regulator for your rack set-up. Not the conditioner but the regulator. the conditioner does nothing but filter out noise and power spikes/surges.

The regulator takes a voltage from 90 volts to 140 volts and turns it into a steady 120 power supply.

Not cheap though. I have a regulator also in my rack in addition to the QSC.

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    gosh,
    only thing i've heard is that the stewarts w/o fans are suceptible to failure
    the 1.6 and 2.1 seem to have much less negative comments about them
    i know you said the amp was not hot but many of my pals have installed lil muffin fans in their racks and in the back of open backed guitar combos

6. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    You know, I never even thought about the power issues, we had three amps on one home circuit....all plugged into my walmart power strip, including a mesa dual rec, and a couple other things. Guess I will test the waters again. Funny thing is, just keep your finger moving, no one outside of the band had any clue I don't believe.

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    hey, those amps don't run on love brother