Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stewart amps for bass AND nearfield studio amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jlsbass, Oct 11, 2003.

1. jlsbass

jlsbass

Aug 8, 2003
    ottawa,ontario
    Hi,

Am considering the Stewart 1.2 power amp ...

I am looking to buy a power amp that will do double duty as:

1) power amp for my new bass rig ( EA 110 and Aggie gs112)

2) To power my nearfield studio monitors .

My criteria is:

- reasonably accurate and quiet (this likely means no fan) for the studio monitor duties.

- excellent power for my bass rig at medium volume levels - and light.

2. jlsbass

jlsbass

Aug 8, 2003
    ottawa,ontario
    Sorry ...

Forgot to state that the thread is to solicit opinions on whether the Stewart 1.2 can do the double duty as noted.

OR am looking for feedback from others that may be using the stewart in the studio to power their mixdown monitors.

Thanks a ton in advance for your thoughts,
    jls.

3. I used to have a Stewart World amp, and used it for everything from bass playing to powering my stereo system. It would work great in the studio, since it has very low distortion. The fan might be the only problem.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i use both my WOrld 250 and 1.2 for my studio monitors, and love 'em! lots of power, yet quiet as a mouse.

FYI, only the 1.6 and 2.1 have fans.

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Didn't I read somewhere that QSC were releasing a range of high power studio monitors?

6. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
  7. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    after getting my stewart 1.2 I tried it on my home stereo. my normal setup is...

California audio labs CD trasport
    Adcom DA converter
    Audio Research LS3 preamp
    Audio research D200 power amp
    Monitor Audio 1200G speakers

oh, did I mention I'm a recovering audiophile??? anyway with this setup I substituted the stewart for the D200. I tend to be quite picky with certain frequencies that bug my ears, I think they are in the upper midrange, anyway the stewart was pretty good as a stereo amp however certain midrage frequencies were A LITTLE irritating to me. however the extra midrange also yielded some musical detail I found interesting.

what am I saying??? for me its great as a bass amp, but maybe not for home stereo or studio. I prefere a little more laid back midrange/treble. bass was great! I don't know if it would be good in a studio because you might be cutting back on some midrange in the mix?